1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

alternator?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mikelawtown, Dec 29, 2013.

1. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

My 2002 chev 2500 HD today had a low volt on gauge and battery light go on. The batt is 3 yrs old and orig alternator, I was going to get a chev dealer part and was curious if any from advanced or autozone would work just fine? I found an AC Delco on Amazon for 150.00

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

You want to check the battery before doing the alternator. A bad battery will pull the alternator down

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I would just have the current one rebuilded and upgraded. 3years and the battery is on the down side of life.

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

11 years on alt.....yea its time.

5. mikelawtown

from Mass

I doubt it's the batt. I have only put 2k miles on my truck in 3 yrs. orig alt from 2002. Just not sure if i want a advanced auto alt . checking dealer tomrw. i get a 20% discount

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

If your gunna order online, and upgrade,,,, go bigger. Spend the coin up front and get a good h.o. unit from a alt builder

7. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

You can get 30% off from advance

2000 miles in 3 years is not good for a battery unless you had it on a maintainer

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Don't even think of advance or auto zone alts.

9. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I have a few bad right of the box from advance. None of my friends who have auto repair shops will use them either. Around here we prefer fisher auto parts. Not sure if you have them where you are.

10. mikelawtown

from Mass

I have a Battery tender on it when it sits. We have O'riely, advance auto and auto zone. I also dont think i need an upgrade over the stock 145 amps. same alt since 2002 with the plow. Lasted long enough for me.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013