1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Alternator

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 06Sierra, Dec 18, 2012.

1. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Guys, I have an 06 Sierra 1500 CC, 5.3L with a 145 amp alternator. It's time to replace it before it leaves me stranded. I found a decent deal on a 160 amp Bosch, new. Everywhere I look shows it will fit, but what about the belt?? I can't find any info on the pulley diameter. I believe the stock pulley is 57mm. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

2. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

When I went from a 105 to 145 I had to get a 1" longer belt. You can get a few belts and try them and see witch one's fit. And take the other ones back. Or try them out in the parking lot of your auto parts store.

3. 06Sierra

from Maine

I found a place online called alternator pros. They seem to have good reviews as a company. The guy I talked to was very helpful. The 145a and 160a are interchangeable in my truck and use the same belt. He said it won't mess with the epm crap either. A guy I was working with this morning did the same as you, he said the 145 was only a few bucks more and he needed the longer belt.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you start with the 130 or 145 AMP you already have the longer belt, thus anything larger will go right on with no need for a belt change.

5. 06Sierra

from Maine

Thanks B& B. I ordered the 160, it should be here today. Should have been here yesterday, apparently FedEx doesn't know what 2nd day shipping means.

6. Easy Scrooge...it's Christmas!!! FedEx is a little busy.

7. Dodge DeBoulet

Dodge DeBoulet Junior Member

My 6.0L 2004 Silverado 2500HD came with the plow package, so it has the 135A alternator. Am I going to see a significant difference moving to the Alternator Pros 145A? Everything dims pretty significantly when I raise/scoop/swing the plow; battery is fairly new and rated for 800CCA.

The plow is a BOSS 9.2V RT3, circa 2004.

8. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Larger alternators are only good as the wiring they are pushing the higher amperage through. The " Big 3 " upgrade should be done first beforehand.

9. 06Sierra

from Maine

Haha. I know. It was delivered first thing this morning. I may have called them if the truck wasn't running and I needed it in a hurry.

I did the "big 3" a few years back. My lights are getting very dim right now. Way worse than it always has been.

10. blazer2plower

Have you ever done a load test on your battery? ? And check all your grounds.

11. 06Sierra

from Maine

Earlier this summer when the volt meter started fluctuating a lot and occasionally the click would rest when I started the truck, I had it tested and checked all the grounds. The full replacement warranty on the battery expired last week. I am going to have sears check it before I get to far into the pro rated part of it.

12. blazer2plower

Sounds like you have a plan

13. 06Sierra

from Maine

Just the little bit that I drove the truck today after putting the new alternator in, the volt meter has settled down. I haven't had a chance to put the plow on and try it out yet. I have done the "big 3" on it as well a few years back.

14. blazer2plower

And for Dodge yes you will. Your battery will charge a little faster. But I don't know anything about your ride. Sorry the last Dodge I had burned to the ground as was in it. So no more Dodge for me.

15. 06Sierra

from Maine

I checked to voltage of the battery today and it's at 11.6. I also bought a load tester and it obviously tested weak. When I checked the voltage a few months back it was 12.7. Off to Sears I go after Christmas.