1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Alternator Wire Replacement Help Needed !

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Eyesell, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I am putting on a 200 amp alternator on my F250, they told me I should run a 4 gauge wire back to the battery. Can I just disconnect the factory exsisting wire from the alternator put the new wire on and connect it to the positive side of the battery.

I noticed there are a few other wires in the wiring harness and I am having trouble figuring out where they go.

Thanks for the help in advanced:burnout

2. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

hello fellow michigan snow plower, i just did this conversion 2 days ago. There are 2 plugs on the alter nator the plug that has the 3 wires one is a black and white wire( well on my truck) that is the one that goes to the battery, the Black and white wire is a very small wire that is for your idiot light in the dash. as for the cable i bought a starter cable for $5.00 all ready had the ends on it and i ran that from the little post on the alternator and then right to the battery. hope this helps. where in mi?

3. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

remmers, allen park, I think you and I spoke already about having a :drinkup: together in the near future if not let's have one anyway cause I'm a total newby to this whole snowplowing thing :eek: :eek: :eek: and any advise you have would greatly be appreciated

thanks

4. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

sounds good