1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Alternator upgrades for 1978 chevy

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by gmule, May 19, 2012.

1. gmule

gmule Junior Member

Last fall I picked up a 78 Chevy with a Meyer ST82 on it. I use the truck for personal use and occasionally I'll push the driveway of an elderly neighbor when the snows are on the heavy side.

I noticed that this plow setup puts a heavy burden on the electrical system. I am going to add a second battery for the plow only and use a continuous duty solenoid to charge and isolate the secondary battery. I have already cleaned up the plow and truck wiring so that is decent. Now I want to put a bigger alternator in it. Any suggestions as to what will give me more juice with out too much customization as far as brackets and pulley alignment. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I know there was a whole long thread done on this already. I read it all,,really informative. Do s search on this

3. gmule

gmule Junior Member

Indeed there is a lot of information on this subject. 13 or so pages worth of reading :eek: Here is what I am going to go with.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-811001/Application/?prefilter=1

this should take care of my charging needs and bolt right up to my existing configuration.