1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Alternator upgrade

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Bronco1, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Bronco1

Bronco1 Junior Member

I just upgraded to a 95 amp from the stock 65 amp on a 88 Wrangler 6cyl. I ran #4 cables to the batt lug on the alternator to the starter relay and then from the relay to the battery. The plow is grounded the the neg side of the battery. The battery is a 1000 amp and new. The 65amp wasn't strong enough to keep the battery up so that's why the 95amp. Is there anything else I need to do? Haven't had any snow lately to really try it out just ran it up and down. Any other things I need to put on to keep the system safe? Thanks.
  2. did you use #4 ground for the alternator ground, too??

compare the size of the cables for the plow motor and consider making both the
    pos and neg larger than stock.
    I heard that advice before and it makes sense but I have not done the same , yet.
    It keeps snowing and we are in survival mode,..

3. Bronco1

Bronco1 Junior Member

The cables from the pump are smaller so what you say makes sense. As soon as it warms up alittle I'll change them also. It's 7 here today and windchill is -17. I AIN'T GOIN' OUT!!! Thanks for the reply.