1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

alternator upgrade

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jbuilder, Jan 26, 2014.

1. jbuilder

jbuilder Junior Member

i am guessing that i need a larger alternator on my 08 chevy 2500 i just installed a 8"6 mvp plow on it and it seems to really draw the amps i do plan on installing another batt also but just wanted some advise on bigger alternators.. thanks

2. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

I have a Duramax with the small alternator and get along fine with two (big) batteries. 750CCA I think.

3. MisterG

MisterG Junior Member

Take a look at Mean Green alternators. Big amps, stock install position, decent warranty.

4. jbuilder

jbuilder Junior Member

thanks for the info i talked with a guy today that said he just runs 2 batteries and has no trouble so i am going to go that route first and see how it goes.

5. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

When you go to install the second batt grab a the highest CCA you can find Thumbs Up

6. jpell

jpell Senior Member

I put a new 200 amp high output mean green in my superduty, couldn't be happier with the differences I noticed between new and old.

7. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

8. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I've got a 2006 F350 gas that didn't come with the plow prep. The stock alternator was 130. I wanted to put a higher capacity one in there, and was told the highest one made for that truck was 140. Put that one it and it's been more than adequate. Have to idle for a few seconds ever now and then when everything's running, but it is a noticable improvement over the 130.

9. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

a lot of spec batteries are not as big as you think, good ones cost more,..put a 800 to 1000cca battery in it and see if it helps...if you decide to put in 2..use 2 big ones, put in a simplier way... plows need instant power and it comes from the battery(s), the alt just replaces it....