1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Alternator Upgrade

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Rick Loncosky, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Rick Loncosky

Rick Loncosky Senior Member
    from 17557

Does anyone know how or have a schematic to upgrade the A/C Delco 63 or 65 amp alternators to 100 amp. I heard that it just adding diodes? Just trying to keep you guys thinking, Rick.
  2. reallyrusty

reallyrusty Member

It's more than just diodes. J.C. Whitney sells the kit for about $33
    with a discription of the parts. Hope this helps
  3. razz

razz Junior Member

:nod: check with the local parts store for a possible ambulance or heavy duty version being available. I got mine for a K-30 camper/ ambulance. Rebuilt/ bolt in, for less than 100 bucks. Just make sure its "clocked" the right way,and make sure you use the same pulley you had on the old alternator. Hope this helps.
  4. porkhead1

porkhead1 Member

Try this place........

or, if you've got some $$$, try a Leece-Neville. They're expensive, but 140amp L/N will put out 200amp without getting hot.

just my $.02

Good luck.....
  5. wyldman

wyldman Member

If your going to upgrade,get a complete unit.All the components are matched together to work properly.

To get a decent alternator,you need a bigger case style.Swapping on something different is the only way to get a high output alternator that will put out what it's rated at.