1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

alternator upgrade on duramax?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cdahl1177, Jan 24, 2011.

1. cdahl1177

cdahl1177 Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

i have an 06 chevy duramax that im getting ready to put a boss 9'2" VXT on. im trying to do as much research as possible before i spend the money. i do not have the plow prep package and im out of warrenty so im just going for it. i have upgraded almost everything on the front end suspension and now im turning to the electrical system. so to get to the point, does anyone have problems with stock alternators and if so whats the solution you came up with to fix it. thanks for the help.

2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I have the same truck as you and plow also,just not the VXT version and will tell you just leave it alone.The one thing I changed however under advice from B&B is that battery cable which is actually a fusible link from the driver's side battery going to the alternator.I installed a 4 ga. cable there with a Napa Megafuse 200Amp I believe.

3. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

To help you feel better, the Dmax trucks didn't have a plow prep option because they have it.

4. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

Why is this suggested?

5. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

It's suggested because the stock cable is undersized for the output that the alternator is capable of putting out. At higher amperages, the voltage at the battery can be 5% to 7% less than the output from the alternator. That means inefficient charging.

Yes, they already have the upgraded alternator, but the main reason that some Duramax trucks didn't have the P/P option is because of the weight limitations on the front end. The 2001-2007 D/A trucks had the P/P as an option on regular cab and extended cab/short bed configurations.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  6. captadamnj

captadamnj Senior Member

You are about to spend $5k-$6k. Can the stock alternator get you by if you aren't running other heavy loads (salter, light kits, amp, etc.)? Probably. But for another $300 you can put on an alternator that will put out more amps at lower rpms and have a greater cooling capacity for itself = longer life. Plus $10 for the aforementioned cable. It bolts right in, it was a no brainer for me. Plus I have a spare alternator sitting in my garage should I have a problem.

Search high output AD244 and you'll find plenty of options.

7. cdahl1177

cdahl1177 Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

thanks for the help. if figured it makes sense to upgrade as much as possible before putting the plow on.

8. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Mine doesn't. I have the 105 alt in mine and no roof provisions for a warning light.

9. Raconteur

Raconteur Senior Member
    from MA

You should find out if you can use a Leece-Neville 200 or 220 Amp Alt

10. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

your duramax has a 105amp alternator???????? from the factory?

11. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Yup I looked up the build sheet off line and thats what it showes on here. The build sheet shows a K68 in the RPO. And it says ampere 105. No VYU in the RPO. I also don't have a aux button. Meaning no plow prep. I think when this one goes I am going to get dual 145s.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  12. Philbilly2

wow, I didn't know that you could even get a duramax with only a 105amp alternator. Every one I have ever had or been under the hood of has had a 145 amp (K3G in the RPO) Including all of them that don't have the plow prep package. Well, I guess that you learn somthing new everyday.

13. tuney443

Go ahead and spend your money but if you have the 145 amp. alternator,it is pure overkill.My truck is loaded for bear,accessories on,lights on,flashers on, light bar on,heater on,sometimes I even use the all electric salter while plowing, and the plow is working fine. Your .02,not mine.Just 10 years ago,a 100 amp. alternator was considered huge,a 145 amp. job is a serious charger.

14. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

i was under that assumtion also until I read the build sheet. I do know also my truck was built in Pontiac, Mi.:mechanic:

15. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

My 07 came with twin 125 amp alternators and power is never a problem. I highly recommend it.

16. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

X2...

Ya can't beat two of 'em!

You can buy the parts right from GM to add one. I did it with my '08 LMM.

I ordered my '11 LML with twin 125's.

17. EXR

EXR Senior Member

My NBS dmax needs a bigger alt. I have had my truck not start 2x this winter already and many times barely start (always plug in the block heater night b4). Had the batteries and alt check and is working fine. My truck doesn't have PP and with that I assume a bigger alt. I am resorting to putting my trickle charger on after I get home every time I plow to keep it charged. Sux, but its what I have to do. I'm thinking of getting a bigger alt. soon..this is a pita.
    Guy Ive partnered with has had the same problem with his powerstroke..it actually died idling at Tim's one night..every heard a ford diesel die out..not a pretty sound. He upgraded to a 200amp alt with no issues since.

18. Philbilly2

Who checked your batteries?

Sounds to me like you have a different problem. Somthing is draining your batteries while you truck is off. (Radar detector?, tom tom?, phone charger?) A bigger alternator will you no good as your truck will not charge when the motor is off.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  19. tuney443

X2--definitely needs some testing.

20. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Funny story.... I once had my battery draining on my 96 while it was parked, could not figure it out, until one morning I noticed a shadow below my front axle. Turns out the mercury switch for my underhood light was pooched and turned the light on constant. Stupid little thing but what an aggravation.