1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Alternator Sizing

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by vegaman04, Feb 18, 2008.

1. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Ok, I know Iraggi makes some great alternators but what would be ideal for a diesel w/ two batts with a plow - 200amp, 240, 280 or is this excessive?!? Now put a vista lightbar on. What would be ideal in my question in different situations. Is there like a rule of thumb to go by for sizing?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  2. dirtyedge

dirtyedge Junior Member
    from se WI

Unless your stock alternator is junk, I don't see any reason to replace it. It should put out enough juice to charge your 2 batteries while plowing and with lights on.

Especially with two batteries because it won't drain them down as much per cycle.
  3. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

200 - 250 will cover you. The factory alt was sized to cover the electrical needs of a STOCK truck. It was not intended for the plow, warning lights, aftermarket stereo, 2 way radio, ect. Look at your plow mfr's spec for electrical consumption and add it and any other accessories to your factory # then add at least 10 %. I usually add 20 % just for safty sake. I would rather have my electrical system work @ 50% of capacity than 80%. It gives you a better margin of safety from overload.