1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Alternator replacement

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by NEUSWEDE, Feb 16, 2007.

1. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Well after another storm of electric problems in the 6.0 F350 Dump I had the batteries and alt checked they told me the batteries were toast and the alternator wasn't working at full capacity and is what ruined the batteries.

So I got replacement batteries but now I need to replace the aternator. My question is should I stick with OEM alternator or go to a high output alternator?

Thanks

2. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I guess it really depends on your electrical demands. Do you have a lot of lights, big stereo amp, electric dump box, etc. I have full power seats, windows, PDL, but only one strobe light, and stock stereo. My factory original alt went out last spring with about 150k on the 2000 F350 PSD truck. It has plowed since it was new. I figured the stock alt was doing a good job so I replaced it with the same amperage.

3. Realdealoo8

Realdealoo8 Member

The stock alternator is a high output 200 amp. I just went through the same thing on my 6.0 What batterys did you go with, I got Interstate MTP's and love them.

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

GO BIGGER!
    You can buy off the shelf or INTERNET alternators for the truck.
    You may have to upgrade the wiring to the batteries so it would get the full benefit.
    Put the biggest batteries that will fit on the trays.
    If you do a lot of low speed, high draw work with the truck, you might even consider the duel alternator system. At idle speed an alternator only puts out about 1/3 it's rated output.
    So you have the electric spreader working, lights to it, headlights, beacon,cell charger,and heater running how much pull now?

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Always go as big as you can when it comes around to alternators and batteries. You are putting a huge draw on the whole system when plowing. Sooner or later it will cause the motors to burn up as well because there is not enough juice to run them.