1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Alternator Recommendations

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by oldmankent, Jan 7, 2014.

1. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I need a new alternator. Anyone have a good idea about where I can get a good hi output alternator that actually puts out better amperage at low rpm's? I will upgrade the wiring as well when I do the alternator. Thanks, nick.

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Stick with oem. I always have, never had a problem.

3. CleanCutL&S

CleanCutL&S Senior Member

Ford guys are lucky, Look for the ambulance spec one. Oriellys carry s Motorcraft replacements.

4. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

There's a thread on this from last year I think? DP or DB electric has alot of choices IIRC. Run a search for specifics.

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Dcpower.com. OEM ones are not up the par for plowing professionly

6. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

ask around and see if there is a respected rebuilder in your town.
    i have a guy a mile up the road from me that took over the business from his father, they have been in business for over 50 years.

he built me an alternator that puts out 245 amps for $195 3 years ago.

7. oldmankent

There is an local place that rebuilds, but I've had bad luck with them. That's why I'm asking about something else.

8. oldmankent

Found one. Place offers an additi

9. oldmankent

Found one. Place offers an additional jumper cable to work with factory wire. It is 4 gauge. Does that seem big enough?

10. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

4 gauge off the output wire?

11. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

big enough for what? what is the maximum output of the alternator you plan to use? that will dictate what gauge wire you need.

and out of curiousity, what the maximum output of your current alternator?

12. oldmankent

4 gauge wire with 250 amp fuse that is run in addition to factory wire from alternator to battery. I think it would be smarter to upgrade the whole wire and ground wire too. I am getting a 200 amp alternator. Called ford and have them my vin#. They said currently have a 115 amp alternator on truck.

13. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

do not run new wire in addition to factory wire. just run a new wire and strip out or abandom the factory wire. the factory wire should have a fisible link in it that will let go if fed too much juice, and then you will be running solely on your new wire anyway.

for a 200 amp alternator use a 2 gauge wire and a 225-250 megafuse. the megafuse will do the job the factory fusible link did.

14. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

your local ford dealer

15. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

This website is not coming up when I type it in.

16. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member