1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Alternator question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Rangr25, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Rangr25

Rangr25 Junior Member

What size alternator are you guys using? Mine is clunking pretty good and I think my truck only has a 105amp so im looking to upgrade. any suggestions? I found a 200 amp would that be sufficient?
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Tell us a little more about your truck, plow/sander, etc. 200 would be nice, for sure. I run a 155 from Napa. Make sure you upgrade all your wiring to 2 gauge, including your grounds. There's a couple dozen threads about it in the Chevy Forum...
  3. overtime

overtime Senior Member

Agree need more info. I run 105 for 3 years no problem i did put a dual battery on this year though. If my alt needs replaced i think i would put a 155amp though
  4. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Mine is oem on a K1500. I have mounted the waterproof version 'Battery Tender' brand battery maintainer to keep the battery in shape when not in use.
  5. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

year ?

make ?

model ?

motor ?

single or dubble battery ?

these be the specs we need !

i have a federal signal streethawk light bar and plow lights and basic truck stuff. i found my single battery and 105 amp alt didnt cut the bill.

i got a 200 amp from here http://www.alternatorparts.com/ been going great for years. 100 amp at idel if needed and around 220 at full tilt. from the dyno sheet thay sent me.