1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Alternator question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 70monte, Jan 21, 2009.

1. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I have a 124amp alternator in my 98 K3500 with the 7.4L Will a 120amp work in this truck or will I have to stay with 124 or larger? I found a 120amp one for sale and it looks physically the same as my 124 one. My current alternator drops below 14v on the gauge after it heats up. Will a 140 amp hook up also? Thanks.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If the physical dimension, mounting tabs, and clock position are all the same, then it will work. Also, check the plug for the small wires, it needs to be the same. I bought a 155 amp from Napa and the high output wiring kit last year. Made a big difference in charging. It has a noise so I need to swap it for a new one. Also, I am going to put a smaller pulley on it this time to help with charging at idle.