1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Alternator Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by fortywinks, Oct 3, 2007.

1. fortywinks

fortywinks Member
    from NE OH

On the plow prepped Reg Cab Diesel GM installs dual 125 amp alternators. If I run a crew cab with diesel, probably timbrens, and BOSS 8'2 V do I need to think about getting more amps out of the single 125 amp they put in those? The 6.0 VYU package gets 160 amp alternator. In short do I need to install a different alternator to handle the requirements of the crew cab diesel plow, lights, radio, coffee maker, massage pad, microwave etc. Thanks.
  2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I've ran my 02 since new with a 9'2 Boss and never had a problem. Still original Alt and Batts (touch wood) I would try it for a night and see how it does before I changed anything.
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I alway recommend to guys to try the 125 amp alternator first, and then changing it out for the higher amp if it is actually needed. On the 99-up Silverado's, the 125 amp is usually enough depending on how much power draw they actually are seeing during plowing conditions. Why spend the money if it's not needed?
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  4. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

your ahead of me. think mines 105 amp. when i turn on the lights the clock dims. when i play a tape and move the plow everything dims. not sure if this is normal or not. thinking i should buy a better alternator someday. when i hook up back up lights might be the day. think it will push it over the edge.
  5. fortywinks

fortywinks Member
    from NE OH

Thanks all.

6. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

What year had dual alternators? I have an Plow Packaged Equiped O3 Duramax with only one 160 amp alternator. My headlights use to dim when I would move the plow until I added a 3rd battery. The more storage you have, the less it pulls on your alternator and gives the alternator time to refill storage. Now even will all the pull from all the electrical stuff on the truck lights stay on with no dimming.
  7. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

105 amp ... replace it.
  8. fortywinks

fortywinks Member
    from NE OH

2007 Alternator

The regular cab duramax with plow prep comes with dual 125 amp alternators. According to gm site, edmunds etc.
  9. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

NFS: I didnt know that. That's pretty bad a$$