1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

alternator question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by plowinzr2, Jan 25, 2007.

1. plowinzr2

plowinzr2 Senior Member

I've got an 03 S10 with the 4.3 V6 and a 6'9 LD Fisher on the front. I finally got to use it the other nite and i notice way to much of a voltage drop when i move the plow, it was enough for me to have to shut of my lightbar. Where can i get a bigger alternator and how big do i need it?

2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

How low was your voltage going when running your pump? My volt gage drops to 10 volts when the pump is operating. I have a 130 amp alternators on all my trucks.

3. plowinzr2

plowinzr2 Senior Member

yea it drops to about that. i can hear the light bar slow down when i move the plow but i mean is it bad for the truck to keep drawing like that? i was thinkin mayb gettin an optima idk if that would help ive heard good and bad thing about those batteries.

4. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

Even dual batteries suffer this drag when you operate the plow. I have a single in the truck i pow with and I drop to about 11v when lifting or turning plow. I think the key to the system is in the alternator , I have a 130amp BUT may go to 180 because I use heated seats and mirrors while i plow.

5. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

You cant get an alternator big enough to stop the plow from pulling the volts down. Plow motors draw 200 amps or more. I have been plowing for over 15 years with various trucks and plows. Never needed more than single heavy duty battery and 100 amp alt..

6. plowinzr2

plowinzr2 Senior Member

alrighty then ill probably look into changing my battery a lil later on and ill change the alternator when i have to. thanks for all the help guys

7. KCB

KCB Senior Member

I replaced my alternator in my old Ford Ranger with a high out-put one, I also had an Optmia battery. Although the plow moved much faster with the new alternator, it blew fuses like a $3.00 *****. That truck is gone now and I have a 02 Zr2 Sonoma (same as yourself) and I'm just going to leave well enough alone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

8. plowinzr2

plowinzr2 Senior Member

yea exactly what type of plow u got on it?

9. KCB

KCB Senior Member

I have a Blizzard 680.

10. mreamer

mreamer Member

Make sure your connections are good (tight, free from junk). You want the lowest possible resistance between the battery and the pump motor.

11. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

12. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Not sure on compatibility (would have to cross reference parts) but the LBZ duramax comes with a 145amp alt.

Decent alt and dual batteries really helps but no matter what a plow motor draws alot of power.

13. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

my needle moves also but it comes back up i have 145 amp alt