1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

alternator question

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by haryhood, Dec 19, 2003.

1. haryhood

haryhood Junior Member

I,m getting a plow for the 1st time of corse it will be in about 3 weeks. Gee you get one 24 inch snow fall and everybody flocks to get plows (me included) . I have a 97 dodge ram sport 1500 4x4, are there any modifications I need to due before I get the plow, other than timbrens which I'll have installed , I'll mostly be doing driveways. but heard ppl talking about alternators and bigger batteries, some running two batteries ...after doing all the modifications it'll cost just as much as a plow ... I tried looking at the sticker on the altanator but I couldnt find how much amps it puts out...would I be running in to problems . any help would be appriecated Thanks Mark
  2. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

A tranny cooler and ballast weight behind the rear tires, along with the timbrens. You will have to wait and see if you kill the battery down when plowing at night. Then you may need to upgrade alt. and 2 batts.
    Don't forget a safety beacon or light bar of some type
  3. captfudd

captfudd Member

I have a 1997 and we bumped up the alternator to a 140 amp, there was 110 amp in it .. some of the dodges come with a 140 amp if you have all the bells & whistles with the truck ...

other than that the truck plows well !!

good luck
  4. haryhood

haryhood Junior Member

CaptFudd why did u go up to a 140 amp , did you have problems w/110amp and did you put timbrens on and is a rotary beacon light better than a strobe light .Thanks Mark
  5. captfudd

captfudd Member

no actually I didn't have any trouble with the 110, it went over the summer so I decided to see what else was available and found that there was an bigger alt. without having to do any modifications .... I do not have timbrens but I am installing them(either this wkend or next) this is the 4th season for the plow on this truck and the sag is getting bad enough now that I am bottoming out ... I prefer rotators becuase they are visible in the daytime as well as nighttime, strobes seem to be ineffective during the day .. hope this helps & good luck :cool: