1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Alternator Question..What should I Get

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Stan, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Stan

Stan Senior Member

On the way to work yesterday the alt took a crap. At first I was pissed but thought better now than 1am enroute to plow. That would have put a damper on things.
    Anyway, not sure which alt I have but am looking for suggestions on an upgrade/source. Its a '94 k-1500 blazer. Thanks in advance.

2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Powermaster, available thru Summitracing.com

3. Ice Scream

Ice Scream Member

When you buy an alt just remember the higher amp you go with the faster it will burn up. 105 to 150 is about lower and upper. Run dual batteries and these sizes should cover you.

4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I think the important thing is to read the specs and find out when it kicks on. Plowing at low speeds, a lot times isnt enough engine rpms to turn on most newer alternators. I just replaced mine, it starts working at 1100 rpms.

5. Ice Scream

Ice Scream Member

You Can Also Changed When The Alt Kicks On By Changing The Pulley Size.

6. Stan

Stan Senior Member

So the smaller the pulley, the more amps at idle?

7. Ice Scream

Ice Scream Member

Yes, I have one on my truck and it does help, in fact I'm switching out my alt today for a large case alt, with a bit more amps

8. Stan

Stan Senior Member

I never knew that-thanks. Was looking at the 200 amp but guess I'll stick to the 140.

9. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

You could also go to an automotive electric shop and have them build one on your core or a replacement, that is amped up a bit. I've gone that route a couple times. I also get adjustable voltage regulators from them, as opposed to the stock ones (Dodge) which don't seem to last very long. Knowing I plow with it I think they bump up the voltage a fraction.

10. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Thought of the same thing of going to a local rebuilder. I'm a little reluctant about that thinking brand new maybe better. Last thing we need is a voltage problem in the middle of the night.

11. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Sinc you are on long island you should go sailon auto electric in syosset.
    They are very reputable when it comes to starters and alternators, that's basically all they do. They have created an alternator for ambulances and police cars that creates close to peak output at very low RPMs.
    this would probably be a great alt for a plow truck and i was thinking about getting one myself.

Sailon Auto Electric, Inc.
    106 Underhill Blvd. · Syosset · NY · 11791 · 516-921-3074

http://nyserda.org/programs/transportation/TransProj_6641.asp
    that link is a bit old since that alternator is for sale now, i am pretty sure.

-Jer

12. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Wish I had known, already got the powermaster. Thanks the same.