1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

alternator pulley

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by snowjoker, Aug 14, 2003.

1. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

How small of a pulley can i put on my alternator w/o damageing it crusing down the road? I just want a little more amps at lower rpms when plowing. it has the 105 amp alt. on it .

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Don't bother,you will just end up damaging the alternator.

A smaller pulley will over speed the alternator,and you will see no noticable gain.The low output at idle is due to the small case design.It also cause overheating,and premature failure.

If you really want more juice,you'll have to step up to something with a bigger case.Eventhough your alternator is rated for 105 amps,it will put out no where near that when hot,and will be unable to maintain it for long periods.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Here is what I run.Rated at 140 amps,butwill put out more like 200 max,and it won't break a sweat doing it.I can also get almost 100 amps out of it at idle if I load it up enough.It's a Leece-Neville used on big trucks,and some abulances and specialty vehicles.

leece.jpg

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Here is a quicksize comparison.

Leece Neville is the dirty one on the right,next to some new GM alternators.No comparison.

1.jpg

5. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

The one for my Hough loader that i just replaced looks identical to the GM ones except it has a wide dual pully in the front.

6. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Where did you get that alt. Chris? Do I hafto get a different bracket? I tried dual batts and did not make much difference. All the lights,radio,heater and wipers going it cant handle it plus when i raise the plow the volts go right to 9 :( It is a lifetime alt from autozone and has been replaced 3 or 4 times in 3 yrs. Did the ground and checked the wires all good just need a little more power :drinkup: BTW it is on the 93 truck

Last edited: Aug 14, 2003
  7. wyldman

wyldman Member

Most heavy truck dealers\parts stores will have the alternators in stock.Leece-Neville 110-555,also known as the triple nickel.Get a brand new one,as they are only a few $$ more than a rebuilt.About $140 US I think.

You will need to fabricate brackets to put it on,and probably get the correct pulley.Most alternator shops should sell the pulleys.You could borrow a core from an alternator shop,to use to see if it will fit,and to make up the brackets.Then buy a new one when your ready.