1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

alternator problems

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by JET enterprises, Aug 19, 2006.

1. JET enterprises

JET enterprises Senior Member

i have a 99 f350 and maybe a month ago the alternator needed to be replaced along with the battery. The battery guage just randomly started going down and i would have to jump start it.. i got it fixed at national tire and battery in danvers ma where they replaced both the alternator and the battery. Then three days later the truck started doing the same thing and has been good until yesterday. Now the truck wont start unless it is jumped and then runs out of power. Am i just unlucky with the altnerators they are giving me? they are refurbished alternators bought from Napa. Is there possibly a short some where in the truck that i need to find? Any advice would help.. thanks
  2. MBB

MBB Senior Member

Not unheard of to have a bad refurbished alternator, Question did they replace the 2 plugs on the wiring harness that plugs into the alternator? If not they could be the problem. Alternator connections should be replaced each time you change out the alternator. Not unheard of to get a battery that goes sour also.
  3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Those 2 plugs could be the problem. They are plastic and cheaply made. They are an easy replacement when you pop in a new alternator. I would start there.
  4. JET enterprises

JET enterprises Senior Member

im bringing back to ntb tomorow.. i figured it could be bad alternators but i didnt understand how it would last a month.. when i bring it in ill ask them to change the plugs too.. thanks