1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Alternator Problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by joeco129, Dec 2, 2007.

1. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

I have a 2004 F350, 6.0 Diesel that the alternator blew yesterday... I bought a new Alt. and new batteries. I have dual batts... The problem I am having is releasing tension on the belt to get the alternator off...

The guys at Ford we telling me the tensioner is the smooth pulley with a half inch square hole in it for a socket or breaker bar... I found the smooth pulley but it has a 5/8 nut on it... Is this it? The tensioner? It is a tough spot to get to because of the fan shroud and confined space...

I cranked on this nut a little and nothing moved... I only had a short socket on it, no breaker bar... so maybe I didn't have enough leverage on it to release tension.

If anyone has experience repleacing the Alt or knows exactly what and where this tensioner is please help. Were expecting some snow tonight and I am SOL!

2. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

there right it going to be a female 1/2 stamped into the tensioner . get a light in there your find it you'll never get the belt off trying to turn the bolt the hold the pulley on . your going to need 15" ratchet and or breaker bar .
  3. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

Just went and looked at mine,look straight down from the altenator pully and just off to the right is the tensioner pully.youll prolly have to take the shroud off or it'll be a pita.If you are ever unsure which one is the tensioner pully,pull on the belt the one that moves is it.
  4. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

My chevys are EZ to change !!!. Owell your learn some day :)
  5. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Great advise da-Clapper :dizzy:, I replaced my stock alternator on my 05 with a beefed up one, I did not remove the shroud but did slide a 1/2" breaker bar down there and was able to move the adjuster.

Keep the belt on the other pulley's if possible, letting it slip off and then trying to re-route it may be difficult. I have a 07 Diesel, I too am having a difficult time getting the belt off this one, the tensioner is located in the same spot but the shroud has to come off :cry:

If you have any other questions, PM me, I can assit you.
  6. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

I finished in no time and I didn't even need the tensioner. Had it changed in 10 minutes. All I did was loosen the three bolts and tip the old alternator foward, releasing tension and the belt slipped right off... Installing the new alternator I just reversed it... Tipped alt. foward, hooked belt in correct grooves, tipped alt back down... had to pull some slack on belt with free hand just a little to loosen enough to get alternator to lay flat on base.... installed rear bolt to hold it down... belt has good tension now... install remaining two bolts, connect wiring and done... without removing anything.

Good luck!
  7. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Thanks, I'm going to give it a shot tonight. :)
  8. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

Let me know how you make out with it...