1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Alternator pinout

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Optical345, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Optical345

Optical345 Junior Member
    from NY

Anyone know where I can find the pinouts (or a schematic) for an alternator? I will be adding a seperate power source for the plow pump, which will include a seperate battery, and alternator. My other option will be adding a capacitor bank (large, and expensive) to the existing electrical system.

2. acornish

acornish Senior Member

what kind of alt-- u could actually just add a second alt. 1wire and run it off that-- but like i said before what kind of alt. are u currently using

3. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Whats the purpose of this?

You don't need 2 alternators. Maybe dual batteries wold help.

4. Optical345

Optical345 Junior Member
    from NY

I am attempting to take the dramatic strain off the alternator when the plow is operated. If I install a capacitor bank in parallel with the plow pump, it will eliminate all strain on the alternator (and the rest of the electrical system), which will prevent the "dimming." Or I could install a second battery, and alternator , wire them to the plow pump, isolating the second circuit from the existing electrical system. Typically, the pump draws 180+ Amps when it is operated normally. The truck's electical system was not designed to handle the extra load, which is why alternators do not last too long when used in conjunction with an electric over hydraulic pump. I realize I am going way beyond what I need to worry about, but being an engineer, it's in my nature.

5. acornish

acornish Senior Member

180amps what kind of pump u using-- my meyer only draws 85amps

6. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Buy the time you put all of this effort and money, youd be further along just buy adding a second battery and replace the alt when it goes out...Rob

7. DEVUNK88

DEVUNK88 Junior Member

yes that may be true, but if the engineer here can come up with a reliable way to eliminate those replacements, and resulting dead batteries, I would like to hear it
    I am looking at doing very similar upgrades
    I went through pure hell last year with bad alternators, dead batteries, bad grounds, and
    not enough oomph in the electrical systems, and when you have lots to clear and 30 driveways to push in a 36 hour continuous blizzard, the last thing you want is to replace alternators and get a jump from your clients. trust me.
    much respect to your comment,
    just thought I'd add a little personal experience to the cause.
    nick

8. DEVUNK88

DEVUNK88 Junior Member

I dont know what he is using, but I have the specs here for an e-60
    says, under load
    max current draw = 230 amps @ 12 volts
    now thats the max, I have never measured it myself,
    but if I were to wire in a capacitor, it would cover all 230 of those amps.

9. DEVUNK88

DEVUNK88 Junior Member

hey optical,
    I am looking at similar ideas.
    1. there are professionals that can install dual alternators as aftermarket add-ons, warrantied and all

2. you can get 8 farad capacitors off ebay for just $80.00

3. dual batteries may be a good choice

i'm with you on this one it is worth it, the next newer diesel I purchase will definantly be outfitted
    with such systems
    let me know how its going,

10. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

im took electrical engineering too... and thought about hte capacitor thing alot

this is what you do.... add a second deep cycle battery, if need install a battery isolator.... optimas are the best around..... if your lights are diming that baddly, you must have a weak alt to begin with...

a plow pump is noting more that a starter motor, at leat in this case you trucks ALT is giving it some power, instead of a cold start - so to speak

dual batt... then go have a custom ALT done... i got 200 amps for 200 bucks.... noo need to change the entire set up under the hood, and all that expense..... then every time you need a repair, your belt is goin got be different... along with pulleys.... not good

3third the isolator , will keep the trucks power seperate from the plows.. simple done

and your right 180 AMPs, or more, to raise the plow

11. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i was thinking this over before myself... did a quick web search. most heavy duty alternators put out 130 to 150 amps at idle. even with a max of 250 or 300 amps you wont get the power at idle.
    solution would be dual alternators or a idle up function so the truck idles up when power is needed (see it in commercial trucks).

other factor is the diodes in the alt since the more the better at converting to dc current so if you replace a six diode with a ten or fourteen diode you are further ahead at saving your alternator since overworking diodes is the primary reason they go from what ive read.

i run a starting/deep cycling marine battery with a stock 105 amp alt and deal with the dimming but havent had a breakdown from it.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  12. elite1msmith

from chicago

All you have to due is go to a rebuild shop for starters alternators and for the most part they will build it to your specs, for a low RPM.... thats what i did....

AGS in crystal lake .... its 1 buck an amp .... i think thye can go up to about 300 amos, but he said depends a little on how big the casing is

13. bribrius

i hear you but i thought the point of this thread was to have alternator(s) supply enough amps at idle to support the draw from the plow pump, truck running, lights whatever all at idle.

so the alternator would have to put out that 250 three hundred amps at IDLE.

im sure you rebuilt one is working fine and i might do the same but it still doesnt put out enough juice to supply the draw. you might be at 100 amps now at idle. thats it.

14. elite1msmith

from chicago

if you tell them low (idle RPM) they wil build it... im sure a 300 AMP, at idle puts out at least 150 or so.

and heres the bigggest hint...parts stores sell smaller pulleys.... which give you a faster RPM

and the batts can handle the rest...im just saying , money can be spent in other places, just good buisness advise...

Too many guys go way over board on this site, for things they dont need, this is one example... - spend 300 plus 2 good batteries, and it will last just as long.... and you will have way less work involved

2 alternators, adds more strain to the engie, and would slightly decrease fuel ecomnomy... just a thought

15. bribrius

AGREEDussmileyflag

16. festerw

festerw Senior Member

LOL I hope he found his answer by now.......since the thread was started almost 5 years ago.