1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Alternator over charging?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by vis, Nov 15, 2007.

1. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

Hey guys have any of you heard of this?

I have an 06 F550 with dual batteries and alternators, and a 9ft fisher xblade on it.

The plow goes up and down, and to the left fine, but when going back to the right it is very choppy.

It is only to the right side. I brought it to the fisher dealer, and they replaced a few parts inside the pump. (this was last winter, last snow storm) the plow worked fine for the rest of the storm, and i put it away for the summer.

Yesterday i took it out and put it on the truck, and guess what, same problem. I took it to the dealer and they found nothing wrong with the plow, and they even put my plow on some one elses truck to test it and it worked fine.

They then called fisher and diagnosed it as the alternator is overcharging the battery, making the plow jump to the right. They determined this because they disconnected one of the alternator cables, and the plow ran fine, but when the alternator cable was re-attached, the plow studders to the right.

Im not convinced of this but the truck is now at the ford dealer, i just wanted to know if you guys heard of anything like this.

Oh and i put one of my other plows onto the truck to test and it worked fine....so one test tells me its the truck, and the other tells me its the plow itself... what gives??

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

humm

i guess i have never heard of this before ,it's easy check the voltage output and load output if it's in spec for the truck it should be ok .sound's like they are pulling the rocket man syndrome ,wasn't me, didn't do it !

3. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

While I have heard of and have had alternators that have over charged I have never seen one nor had one affect the way the plow works.

I had one voltage regulator go bad and it was charging at almost 18V and it made the battery look like a balloon to the point of almost explosion. Again though, nothing affected the plow when that was going on.

Sounds like they are selling you a electric dipstick.