1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

alternator output

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MATTHEW, Nov 18, 2001.

MATTHEW Member
    from NE OHIO

Is there any way to find out what the output of an alternator is? Mine had no stickers on it indicating output. It is the factory one on a k2500HD.
  2. AtlasFBG2

AtlasFBG2 Member
    from Ohio

I woud like to know that one also.I just replaced mine Friday with a rebuilt one.They didnt know at napa but said the replacement is between 85-100 amps.
  3. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Your Chevy dealer can break out the information from the codes on the sticker in the glovebox. I'm thinking the standard alternator is something over 100 amps.

MATTHEW Member
    from NE OHIO

OK, I'll have them check it out. Is 100 amps enough to run a plow setup? Guage dropped 25% when I angled the plow.
  5. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

The gauge only shows battery voltage and it drops rapidly when you throw a load on the plow pump. The battery is only a storage tank for the alternator output. As long as it jumps right back up when you take the load off you're in good shape. Try turnign on all the stuff you will be running when plowing, then run the plow over against the stops and hold it there for a couple seconds. Watch for how long it takes to bring the voltage back up to 13 volts+. It should come back up in a few seconds. I figure everything is cool if the voltage is up by the time it would take me to back up 100 ft and start another pass.
  6. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Nrver thought it out to the 100' thing but it sounds like a good gauge of the system.

7. Maverick

Maverick Senior Member

The new GM trucks like my 2001 with the snow plow prep packages have a 130amp alt. If it doesn't have a plow prep, it has a 105amp.