1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

alternator or battery?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Metz, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Metz

Metz Member

My '02 1500 is having trouble turning over. it started a few weeks ago when plowing. As I raise my plow, my battery meter goes way down. the first time i didn't realize and the truck died. jumped it, good to go for the rest of the day. so now every time I plow, I keep an eye on the meter, as it drastically goes down when I move my plow. so by constantly doing this, am i harming the alternator? now when i start the truck in the morning, plow or no plow, it barely turns over. Once I'm out driving for a while, it starts up just fine. Battery is 1 year old

what does this sound like, battery or alternator?
  2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

well before you said the battery was 1 year old i would have said battery ,go back to basic's glean your battery cable connections at the battery and the other end of the cable ,use dielectric grease on both end's ,put the battery on a good charger for a while ,to make sure it is all the way up ,load test the battery or have the place you got it do it .then have your alt tested for output std run and load to see if the regulator is working .once you find out if it's not the battery or alt load test the plow ,battery's can go bad !
  3. juspayme

juspayme Senior Member

i had that issue bro. my dads was a eletric boss for a cement plant. i asked him what was up, he said change the eletric pump. even if you have the electric motor tested and it tests fine, as u use it time and time again, the motor get got and the winding get bad.

most of them are around 100 bucks

changed mine, problem gone
  4. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

like said before take the battery out and get it load tested to check it. im thinking its the battery , if the alternator was bad and with the plow drawing off it, i think the battery would die REAL quick. maybe you might want to look at upgrading your alternator as well.