1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

alternator ? on '05 2500HD

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by captaingreen, Nov 23, 2005.

1. captaingreen

captaingreen Junior Member

I purchased a 2005 2500HD earler this year without the snow prep package and since then have decided to plow this winter. I'm having a 7.5' Western Pro put on and a Western spreader. Do I need to upgrade my alternator or otherwise do anything to upgrade the electrical system. I would hate to get stuck on my first year, so much to learn already without any additional headache's. Any input would be appreciated.

2. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

You will be fine. It wouldn't hurt upgrading the battery though. Maybe a nice 1000 amp'er

The factory battery in my 05 is like 675 or something.

3. Bowlerdude

Bowlerdude Junior Member

Captain,

If you bought a truck new or with a balance of the factory warranty plowing with it without the Plow Prep package will completely void any remaining warranty, just a thought.

The Plow Prep package is more than just the alternator and extra battery. The front ends bars are different as well.

John

4. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Correction, I thought he bought a truck WITH the prep package, read it too fast.

Not sure, as they said it may void warranty.

The plow prep package does not include an extra battery. It is a plow light wirirng, 145 amp alt. Skid plates. Everything else is the same.

I am sure the truck they put plow prep packages on have HD other stuff, but just adding a plow prep package alone does not upgrade anything but the items I said above.

Check your GVW, if it is 9200 you have a truck equipped same as my 05 HD that has the plow prep, except those 3 items. I would just upgrade the alt. to a 145

5. captaingreen

captaingreen Junior Member

What are skid plates?

6. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

The skid plates are plates that protect the transfer case and under the engine. I heard the same thing about the warranty. All the dealers are looking to do is get out any money paid out they can.

Yes it would be the same if you added the equipment but most dealers will not cover you. One dealer told me if you don't get the package and get in an accident a savvy lawyer can go after you because your truck was not even supposed to have a plow in the first place.

Also you can't get a sunroof and automatic temp control, It deletes them if you try building the truck on line. The may feel the sunroof can be damaged if left open or maybe the cab is not as strong. As for the heat/AC is is very temperamental to the drain on the power plows can create.

7. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

For a FULL description on whats included in the VYU plow prep.
    option check out:
    http://www.gmupfitter.com Go to publications...then
    to tech bulletins #27

Also contains wiring diagrams/schematics etc............geo:drinkup:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2005
  8. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

Id say you will be alright.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2005