1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Alternator needed

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by caz41, Jan 22, 2006.

1. caz41

caz41 Member

I need to get an alternator for my 99 Silverado (6.0L motor). What is the biggest size that I can go with, and which is the best one/place to get it. Thanks in advance.

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

depends on where you want to buy it and how much you want to spend.

Autozone and Advance have good lifetime rebuilds (advance is better) as does CAP if you have one near you- reasonable prices compaired to dealer or high priced parts places (napa for example), but you're looking at probabily 150 amp max. Buy a custom one and you can get 200 amps or more if that's what you want.

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

There are a lot of places to get upgrades. An automotive electrical rebuild shop can even rebuild your stock alternator to a bigger rating.
    Summitracing.com or
    http://www.alternatorparts.com/
    are good sources. Just remember to upgrade the wires from the alternator to the battery/batteries to handle the extra amps safely.