1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Alternator Charging High

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jklawn&Plow, Dec 14, 2011.

1. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

My 2007 2500HD seems to be charging higher than normal , like 15-16V it used to go down to 14V after 30 seconds when started. Noticed this because I can hear the inside fan fluctuating and noticed the gauge is pinned up high. I wonder if this is an early warning sign that the battery is starting to go thus the ECU is charging higher?

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

regulator is bad

3. jklawn&Plow

Thats what I thought but noted the computer does some different things to control the regulator. Saw this in the upfitter doc . If the computer can't control it its supposed to default to like 14.62 Volts. Battery is 4 years old, 2.5yrs plowing and its only 615CCA I think.
    Is there a way to check the regulator control signals?

4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Auto Zone or a parts store if regulator bad and charging to much it can burn up ur battery

5. jklawn&Plow

Guess I'll pop it out and get it tested.