1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Alternator and power wire size for a 2015 Silverado 1500?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by coke813, Jan 20, 2016.

1. coke813

coke813 Member

I'm hoping there's a wiring expert out there. I have a 2015 Silverado 1500 Z71 with a Western HTS. for personal use only. I have read though this post regarding electrical upgrades:

Dual Battery Install Instructions for a Chevy

I believe I have the 150 amp alternator and all wiring is stock. I don't know what size wire it is, maybe #2? Is that good enough or should I really look at buying a HD alternator and new wire for it? I have not had any issues yet, but this is my first winter with the new setup.

It seems that the answer is always, "bigger is better" when it comes to alternators and wire size. Does anyone know what amperage is actually required and what the corresponding wire size is to keep my 1500 from draining the battery? I have tried asking my dealership and plow installer and both of them say the factory parts should be fine for me. But again, the "bigger is better" philosophy seems to prevail on this site. I do not have dual batteries yet either, though I did run two in my old rig.

I know most of you drive HD trucks, so you probly have beefier electrical components, so I'm looking for some factual information about half-tons if possible.
    Thanks in advance.:waving:
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Highly doubt 2g from factory on a 1500.

If it's for personal use you should be fine with the stock set-up. Maybe just throw a battery charger on it every now and again