1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

alternator amps for plowing? 115 or higher?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Looking through the Ford brochure, the 6.0Ls have 110 amp standard alternators, yet they offer a single 140amp and also dual 130s i think for a 260 amp output. I always hear guys talking about how they run down 2 batteries plowing, with lights on etc.

Can you run all of your headlights/plow lights and say the amber light on top and using the plow hydraulics with the 110 or 140amp on the diesel 6.0L or do you need or should get the DUAL alternators? Is that only for like ambulances and applications like that?

If the alternator isnt drawing load, does the engine constantly have to work harder with dual alternators vs a single ?
  2. J29

J29 Senior Member

I have a 1999 350 with the 7.3 Diesel. It has two 750CCA batteries and a single 130 amp alternator. I have the plow lights on, with the defroster on high, and all of my many strobe lights going and never have a problem. The only time I may notice a slight drain is when I am actually moving the plow in any direction except for down. I just replaced my original batteries this past winter and even then they were still starting on their own down to 10 degrees. Only did it as a precaution. I doubt you would need dual alternators. Usually the rescues run them because of all the lights they have going when idling plus usually having a second A/C unit to cool off the body portion also. That's when auxiliary idle is nice. Too bad its not available on the 6.0s. Hope that helps. J.
  3. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Plow package from Ford includes an upgrade to a 140amp altenator.
  4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

have dual alt.on the 2000. plow is fast, batteries never have wore down. and lights stay nice and bright.
  5. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

If you are going to be plowing lots or drives you may want to option up. I run just the 140 that came with the plow package but plow mostly roads with it, so it sees less draw
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I think the reason a duel setup would be good is at low RPM the alternator is only putting out about 1/3 of it's rating. How many times do you go very far above idle with a PSD plowing? I work private Ambulance and all our squads have the duel setups. They will sit on scene with all the lights going , both A/C's running full blast and still be on the + side of charging even at idle.
    ( Most people forget to set the parking brake to trigger the high idle setup )
  7. snowtime

snowtime Junior Member
    from Ohio

Consider the fact that your plow pulls 200A every you hit end of stroke on one of your rams. Average pull is a lot lower than that, but a 110A alternator will cause you grief.