1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Alternatives to logs sheets?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Green Feet, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Green Feet

Green Feet Member

I currently use a log sheet for my plow route. It works, but I hate stopping, turning the light on and filling in the sheet 60 times. Just wondering if anybody uses anything different that is a little more efficient. Phone apps, gps, etc?

Thanks,
    Bob

2. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

We're working on going paperless. I built a web app that the guys use on their phone to punch in and out and log service times for each property as they go. Doesn't save any time versus a traditional log sheet on the front end, but is a huge time save on the back end.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Touch Button Voice Recorder.

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Just have a note pad and mark times down rough and when your done fill in the permanent copy. If you have log sheets made up where you just circle things and fill in the time and date it's alot faster then the electronic way.

5. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

We do it the same way, everyone hsa a nick name for sites, time-in/time-out once we are done all gets transfered on a proper sheet.

6. plownoob

plownoob Senior Member
    from ny

i use a laptop. IMO it takes just as long as writing, but the difference is at the end... I don't have to calculate anything. spreadsheet does it.

7. crewtracker

crewtracker Inactive

If you want something that helps you report your work as it happens, dramatically collapses the time between end of the event and sending invoices out, and going practically paperless, CrewTracker Software can do that for you.

The only piece of paper is the route sheet, other than that all you need is any type of cell phone. You just talk into the cell phone so there's no paper and pen. It will record all your data and you can see reports about properties, crews, and invoicing (like how much money you have made so far on a certain property or an entire storm) in real time. Because you record all of your data during the storm, you don't have to collect sheets from everyone and guess on bad handwriting. Once the storm is done, your invoices are ready to go out.

If you want to view all of these reports in real time, you just need a device that has internet access.

8. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I know of a guy that is using I-Pads.......data is entered and automatically transferred when the truck encounters a WI-FI network......

9. Green Feet

Green Feet Member

Thanks for your input guys. I am trying to look at anyways I can to be more efficient. I currently use a log sheet and track mileage, fuel, time and comments. I then put the info into my spreadsheet once the event is over.

10. lawnangel1

lawnangel1 Member
    from KY

That is a really neat idea. Do you know what apps they are using to do this?

11. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

I use a form that i made on my ipad. Nice quick and permanent copies. Takes about 30 secs to fill out each one.

Attached Files:

12. dmontgomery

I can find out.....

13. dmontgomery

I like that and it works on my laptop as well......duh I guess

14. Dig-it Landscap

Dig-it Landscap Member

I spent about 3 days setting up the Nediso app in my iPad, iPhone, iTouch, etc. I wanted to use this to log everything this year. I will say it is a great app and good program. It also integrates nicely to QB. The customer support is great also. The negative: There are some glitches with the system. After 2-3 storms I decided to go back to log sheets after some times, and other data were deleted several times. All in all It is a great tool and with the dedication I saw from the CEO and tech support from the company I believe the bugs will be worked out soon. I will definitely be giving it another try next season.

15. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

What program do you use to fill that out? I have an iPad

16. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

I tried it last year. It looked great. But its waaay to expensive for what it does, and you have to sign a contract.

PDF Expert. Currently th eonly one that works with pdf forms.

17. Dig-it Landscap

Dig-it Landscap Member

They have it now so you don't have to sign a contract. It cost $49.xx a month and you can use it for 3-4 winter months then they will suspend your account and keep all your info for the next season and you re-activate it by just paying the monthly fee.

18. Quality Lawn

Quality Lawn Junior Member

Did you ever find out what app he is using for this?