1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Alternative wear bar material?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by vencops, Feb 20, 2014.

1. vencops

vencops Junior Member
    from NC

I'm looking for something that someone has used, successfully, to replace the factory wear bars that come with "homeowner" type plow systems. I have a KFI 72" plow system (see photos) and I'd like a different source than ordering through them - every time I need a new wear bar. I don't use skid shoes, so I go through them quicker than most. I plow my drive (about 500' long and as many as 15 of my neighbors. It's how I repay the people who let me hunt.

What are you using (if not the factory wear bar)?; how much does it cost?; where do I find it?

2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like you need thicker material, check with your local steel shop and see what they have, aslo ask if they can punch the square bolt holes.....the shops that can usually know what they are doing with edges
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

If it can handle it, double up your cutting edges. But that adds more weight.
  4. symonds86

symonds86 Junior Member
    from Ny

I work at a steel shop and we stock 1080 steel for cutting edges we just bring a 20 foot length cut off the length ya need punch or cnc plasma the holes and good to go. We have also sold edges made of hardox I very hard material made in Sweden I guess that works well also but more expensive because it comes in large sheets and must be plasmaed to size and the 1080 comes in 1/2 x 6 or 1/2 x 4 bars
  5. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

you could also double up the cutting edge or just the last two bolts on the edges with hardened steel if you are worried about weight which you should not be