1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

alternative to rock salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by fireboy6413, Nov 25, 2009.

1. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

I have a church that has a well for water, well the church sits on a main road, and all the wash off from the main road and the parkway washes ion to their well. So I cant use salt because the levels are already high. Is their anything else to use, besides sand.

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Potassium acetate, you can't use anything with chlorides or you will mess with their water quality.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Is it a dug well or artesian?

4. fireboy6413

2cor517 not sure how far it goes down, their salt levels do go up in the winter, just slightly, but they dont want to take a chance. they put sand down last year but their is a day care on site so the ice is a problem. Forestfireguy do you have any more info on products with out chlorides. price and where to buy would be great

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe you could lease one of those jet engine track dryers that Nascar has.....

6. fireboy6413

that would be nice id be the hottest plow guy in my area, literally:laughing::laughing:

7. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Theres a guy in Hudson NY that sells or used to sell Potassium Acetate, we bought from him for a few years. I have his contact info at the office, can get it to you monday, shoot me a PM to remind me if you would. And it works pretty well, I ran the site we used it on and sprayed thousand and thousands of gallons of the stuff at a Walmart in Central Valley NY. I believe that it's going for upwards of 3 bucks a gallon delivered.