1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Alternative for salt at a huge complex?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by xtreem3d, Apr 15, 2011.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Hi Guys,
    I was just asked by a company of a big MFGing plant that generally requires asphalt at all times (ie: tons and tons of salt) to recommend some alternatives that would work. Alot of the salt serves double duty as a traction aid for the spotters trucks that move the trailers around. Sand is not an option. Salt is becoming too corrosive to the plants structures,
    Thanks,
    steve

2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Treat the salt with beat juice to reduce corrosiveness

3. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

The problem is when you start getting away from salt.....The Prices start going up fast....Most Companys dont want to pay for it.....You can Look into Acetates such as Potassium Acetate which is used as a Runway deicer.....VERY Expensive....But Not corrosive...

4. leon

leon Senior Member

No Halite or else

Hammer milled limestone works wonders and is used at airports and its cheap.

5. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Go the route of the airports......Potassium Acetate. Its WAY WAY more expensive than salt. Works pretty well if applied at proper rates. Treat your salt with Magic possibly???

6. leon

leon Senior Member

salt etc.

All of the rock salt (Halite) in the north east has shale
    in it so your statements about not wanting grit are
    self defeating.

Stating sand is not an option is also self defeating and
    your customer needs to be educated about this.

Limestone dissolves and thats not an issue either.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  7. Matson Snow

What about a Kerosene Powerd Jet Engine Heater.........:eek:........:laughing:......Thumbs Up

8. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

LMAO i forgot all about that post. :laughing:

9. Matson Snow

Heres a good Start....A couple of these and your good to go..............Thumbs Up

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  10. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

all you need is a hitch and you can pull it around with your pick-up truck. Thumbs Up

11. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

treated salt and brine as pre-application. We started a couple warehouses this winter with very good results.

12. leon

leon Senior Member

deicing warehouse areas

========================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================

The problem with deicing chemicals used for airport use in the example
    is the issue with polluting the surface and ground water which is something
    which is occuring annually due to aircraft and runway deicing using these
    chemicals.

The aircraft are run through specific areas used for deicing and the chemicals
    are recaptured in most major airports as they are finding the deicers are leaching
    into the water table very quickly.

The recently patented "infrared deicing method" employed immediately prior to
    the take off sequence is very promising for all climates wherein the airplane
    is taxied into the barn and deiced with a huge array of infrared lamps which
    cover the entire interior space of the aircraft hanger and deice the jet liner or
    other airplane completely prior to takeoff which guarantees that the "Pitot tubes"
    which are the air speed sensors are deicied and the landing gear structures
    are also ice free prior to the entrance of the airplane to the airport runway.

I dont have any issues with ice with using heat or sand use and hammermilled
    limestone used as a deicier for runways has been used a long time so the issue
    is mute point as they are huge labor savers for me in my case.
    :waving:

13. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Check out K tech Coatings on You Tube they have a Beet Heet product. Suppose to be less corrosive I think.

14. xtreem3d

Thanks for the replies guys...i will look into the alternatives mentioned. I'm not sure money is an issue with them . Not using sand was because they didn't want to clean it up after every storm.

15. xtreem3d

Guys..i just quickly googled potassium acetate and went to some websites..they all mention great for de-icing ...maybe a stupid question but would it hold off heavy snowfall or any kind of snow fall?
    Steve

16. leon

leon Senior Member

warehouse and truck trailer storage

The only effective way to keeep ahead of snowfalls
    is 1., heating cables or 2,. buried geothermal loops or 3.,
    my patented method for deicing and snow control.

For the money involved hammer milled limestone and
    sand are much less costly for a use like this.(in my opinion)

A large garden tractor and snow blower will go a long way in
    small areas that are difficult to clean as long as you windrow
    the snow and control it that way.

17. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Leon. More info please! I really want to know what kind of sand you're using to melt ice.

18. xtreem3d

let me explain how this works..we have 5 skidloaders using pushers at all times but the place is so big/complicated that we were salting right behind the skids to hold off the snow until we get around again, and to aid the spotters with traction problems. can't use sand ...dont know what hammer milled limestone is..you said they use it at airports...to melt snow and ice? or just as a traction aid?
    As luck would have it i was planning on contacting the airport maintenance supervisor this week but our airport got hit by a 40 year record tornado so i wil have to wait until things there recover

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  19. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Have you thought about doing any pre-storm pavement treatments with liquids?