1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Alternative Boss PowerV Fluid

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DitchDigger, Dec 14, 2003.

1. DitchDigger

DitchDigger Junior Member

Hello,

I just got a new Boss Power V, picked it up monday but forgot to get the fluid. Is there an alternative that I could use? I heard ATF will work, but I don't want to mess up a brand new plow by using the wrong stuff.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I've been using the Meyer/Buyers Blue brand since day one in it.

I wouldn't use straight ATF, as it has no cold weather properties to prevent freezeup. Although due to BOSS's sealed system (no couplers) the introduction of water isn't as big a problem as on other plows.

3. gpin

gpin Senior Member

You can use ATF if you no alternative but be sure to change it out asap. If it gets really cold, your plow will be v e r y slow. Go online and see if you can get a quart or 2 shipped out overnight, it's cheaper than the labor involved in changing out the fluid.

4. bossplow

bossplow Junior Member

Dont use ATF.
    Buyers / Meyer blue oil at least. Should be able to find some at a local auto parts store or Tractor Supply type store. Amperage draw goes WAY up with ATF when cold besides not having the anti-icing and ant-foaming properties.