1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

alternaotr upgrade for 97 dodge 2500 HD???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tjp, Sep 20, 2003.

1. tjp

tjp Junior Member

Hi everyone, I have a question for anyone who can help me. I have a 1997 dodge 2500 HD which i use to plow with, my question is with all my warning lights, scanner, and 2-way radio, plus my plow control should i upgrade my alternator to heavy duty because the use of all this equipment makes my battery instrument gauge go down to nothing and the battery is pretty new. Any help would be apperciated. Thank You, TJP
  2. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

TJP..............You could call around to a alternator
    rebuild shop and have them pump up your output.
    Gm currently offers a 145 amp. alt. from the factory.

There are also hi output replacementunits avail.
    But they are in the $300 range. The alt. shop pump
    up runs $100 bucks. I had this done to my 97 GM 90
    amp unit they pumped it to 130 amps............geo
  3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Here is what I run on my 97 Dodge.Will power a small city,and was way cheaper than even a stock rebuilt.It may take some work to get it to fit.

What engine do you have ?

4. tjp

tjp Junior Member

I have the 360 engine in my truck. TJP
  5. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'm not sure if you could fit the big Leece-Neville under there or not,I haven't tried on a gasser.

Stay away from so called high output alternators.They will put out higher amps,but only at higher RPM's,and with lots of heat.Heat kills alternators.You can upgrade to the largest alt available for your truck.

Dual batteries may help give you some reserve as well.