1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Altenator upgrade

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Dodgedzlr, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Dodgedzlr

Dodgedzlr Junior Member

Has Anyone upgraded to an aftermarket big output Altenator. I have an 03 CTD. My gauge reads 15 all the time with new batteries. Im wondering if I should pull the Alt and have it tested. If its going im thinking upgrade? What say you old salts.
  2. dodge15004x45.9

dodge15004x45.9 Senior Member
    from malvern

Upgrades are always fun to make it threw this winter I picked up and Optima deep cycle batt advance has them on sale when you buy them online.
  3. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Being an inline engine, the Cummins has room for the short frame, giant Leece Neville Heavy Duty Class 8 OTR truck alternator with out put from 140 up to 160, or even 185 amps, depending on how much you are willing to spend. Do a search and on Google, too.
  4. drivefaster35

drivefaster35 Member
    from iowa

Just installed this on monday. http://www.pa-performance.com/Scrip...01&enginename=5.9 Diesel&modelname=Ram Pickup the 180 amp one kinda pricy but i have a dump bed on it and opti max deep cycle yellow top batteries and after dumping a few loads of junk the volts don't drop near as bad and bounce back 5 times faster. I'd buy one again in a heartbeat after going through one a year in my 6.0 ford replacing it with the standerd 110 amp everytime. Finally upgraded that to a 136 amp one that works much better.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

I'm not totally sure you need an upgrade.... Myself make sure your batteries are in good condition and have a high as possible CCA. I have heard of people adding more amps to the truck only to have more computer issues than what is worth.

A smaller pully might be just the ticket you are looking for.... More charging capabilites at low RPM. This will feed the batteries demand while plowing better than factory and not change the total output (amperage) of the alt. 15 volts is a little high but not much of a concern. I'm not exactly sure how the voltage regulators work in the newer trucks. I think they are operated by the computer... Of all the Dodges I have owned I have only replaced one alt. Still charging but made lots of bearing noise...
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  6. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

I ordered PA perf alt too, they sell a lot of these to snow plow guys.
  7. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

X2, the ECU controls alternator output. Who knows, maybe the gauge is actually off. Have you tested it with a meter? Even at 15 volts i would not worry too much.