1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

altenator upgrade complete

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by captbo, Jan 21, 2010.

1. captbo

captbo Senior Member

I just dropped in a 3 G alt in my 96 bronco, it was a bolt up and go with the exception of running a #4 wire from the alt out put directly to the POS. post on the battery but first through a fuse, well in polace of a fuse I used a maring grade 150 breaker PM me if you need more info on the part

2. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Told ya it'd be easy. Have you gotten a chance to try it out yet? World of difference.

3. captbo

captbo Senior Member

no snow,, for me getting a plow is a sure sign that it will never snow again!, I did as you know get a 1996 bronco and I have started to tear into it, I found this nasty foam junk blow/ injected in the "B" post as I have learned its in most,, it does a great job trapping water and rusting!,,

4. captbo

captbo Senior Member

We just had a 7" snow event the snow was dry and the truck worked flawlessly, How ever I did notice the charge needle pegging on the neg. when I hiot the switch, I wonder if the 3g will be enough?

5. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind Senior Member

it just bolted in? i have a 460 and i got a 175amp? alt to put in my truck but it looks like i need to make a new bracket? the stock bracket for it, the swing arm goes like an inch out of reach of the bracket and it wont fit, i was assured though that it was the right alt. is there a mod to be made?

6. captbo

captbo Senior Member

some truck you will need to grind away alittle of the bracket pm me and I will give you some links but if you have a 175amp you may not need this mod, but its good info to have!