1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Altenator questions?????

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ACCONSTRUCTION, Nov 15, 2010.

1. ACCONSTRUCTION

ACCONSTRUCTION Junior Member

Last night during the final clean up of the Saturday storm my lights started to dim alot more then usual when I lift my plow. I drive a 05 2500hd 6.0L with a factory alt. single battery no other crazy lights or anything to rob battery juice. What happened was when I lift my plow i noticed that the lights were dimming more then they usually do, so I happened to look at the volt meter and it was at like 10 volts. I turned off my lights and it went up to 12. but isnt it supposed to run at like 14 or so???? When I turned my lights back on it went from 12 to below 9 then back up to 12???? I think my alt is going and am wondering what size alt i should buy 100amp or 145 or 160 amp???? Will a bigger alt make my lights not dim anymore??? Thanks guys, I no very little about electrical problems so any help would be great.

2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

This is typical problem. I had a 88 GMC that would stall after 4 hours of plowing because of low juice.

The perfect set up is a real good battery over 800CCA with a good reserve time AND a upgraded alternator. Including the charging wire back to the battery.

I went with a 200 amp alt with 2 gauge back to battery.

alt.JPG

alt.JPG

3. ACCONSTRUCTION

ACCONSTRUCTION Junior Member

Where did you get the 200 amp alt? I'm calling around and the only thing I'm finding is a 145 or 160 amp alt.

4. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

NAPA they also offer lifetime warranty on them.

5. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member