1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Altenator question

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 04f350powerv-xt, Dec 18, 2008.

1. 04f350powerv-xt

04f350powerv-xt Senior Member

I have problems with my truck loosing power after I plow for 7-9 hrs, lights start to dim radio turns off when moving the plow ect.. I talked to my local boss dealer and he told me 110A altenator is all i need to run my plow and I should not have these problems b/c of the altenator. I replaced both batteries with new bigger ones and it still happens. So i replaced the altenator b/c it was reading a little weak(ford dealer told me the heavy duty 140A altenator might not fit on my truck and i couldn't return it if it didn't b/c it was electrical), so I put in a new 110A altenator and i'm still having the problems. What do you guys think, do I need the 140A? Will it fit on my truck? 2004 f350 desiel, single altenator double batteries...
    Thanks for the help.

2. 04f250fisher

04f250fisher Senior Member

I just had my 110amp altenator crap out on tuesday so the shop put a 130amp in my truck, I would say the 140 would fit in your truck. The 110amp could keep up with the plow and all my strobes.

3. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

look up powermaster motorsports on the web they have some nicely boosted alternators or consider installing a dual alt set up . I just ordered a 140 amp alt for my truck they even had a 200 amp alt but it was outside my current budget with in the next week or 2 ill be fabbing up my bracket and installing dual alts in my truck.Theres a few companies that make dual alt kits if one doesn't want to fab up their own setup or doesn't know much about wiring.But before you go crazy have you checked the plow motors amp draw?

4. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

How much time to you get your truck over 1krpm while plowing?

I run a 200 amp Delco on my Ford, like 90% of the alternators out there, they are useless below 1k. Mine would keep up if I reved the engine a little, which was easy since it was a clutch.

5. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

I forgot to add that point that even most of the boosted ones don't provide much of an advantage at low rpms. For that fact i replaced my pulley with a slightly smaller one so i get more revs out of the alt at low engine rpms but not small enough to cause alt to over rev at high engine rpms.

6. Matt Hart

Matt Hart Junior Member

I know this post is old, but 140 amp will fit on your truck and that is your problem.

I had the same problem, except it happened while working which sucked since the truck completely died.

Had to towed to the dealer, they tested the batteries and it killed them both. I said to just replace them since they were coming on 5 years old anyway.

They then tested the stock 110 alt and it was fried. He said he was not surprised as he did the same to his truck.

When I went to pick my truck up the dealer had a 05 f350 in the lot with a Boss blade on it right next to mine so I figured he was telling the truth.

It did bolt right up but it is a pricey one and they would not take the 110amp as a core.

7. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

when my alternator went i bought a new higher output one from SVA out of Canada, was around 250 or so shipped to my door. put out a little over 200 amps and you didnt need to rev it up for it to start putting out some decent power.

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Use the search function on the gray line above. Search : Charging, low power , truck dies, etc. There is hours of reading there.
    Keep in mind an alternator only puts out it's rated output at 2,000 RPM, 1/3 at idle.
    And what RPM do we plow at? Near idle?
    Lights will dim due to voltage drop when you operate the pump.
    With headlights, heater, wipers, beacon lights, computer and cell phone charger your pulling major amps. Eight hours later your batteries say, HELLO I AM LOW and you still want more from ME! Read the past posts, there is more info there.( see gray line above in first sentence )
    A automotive rebuild shop can rebuild your stock alternator for like $2 an amp, so it fit's in the stock space. The Internet has sites that you can buy high output alternators that are just bolt in replacements. But you should upgrade the wire gage to a bigger gage to the battery or batteries. Like I said search the question there is hours of reading on it. It's beat to death every year.

9. HomeBuilder

HomeBuilder Junior Member

I had the same problem last year.
    There is a place online to order the large case alternator that fits in the new trucks, they are available up to 200 amps. The guy I talked to before I ordered said that the higher the amps, the less life you can expect- he recommended the 140 amp.

My truck has heated seats, heated mirrors, fog lights, hideaway strobes, plus all the normal accessories. Well worth the money, and I thought the price was very reasonable, (around $180 plus shipping I think). Even with upgrading from an 8' poly straight blade to the 8'2'" V-XT I haven't had any power issues since I installed the 140 amp.

10. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

a few things you could do dont lift the blade all the way when backing up
    sometimes i run with just stroebes and parking lights and dont shut the truck of when you take
    a food break.if im out i never shut of the truck if were out 36 hrs truck runs

JR

11. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

I've never had a problem with this. Even my old gassers running a 90 amp and a single battery would do fine.

You might want to check your pump motor. Worn brushes or thick oil can cause major battery drain.

But, there's nothing wrong with getting a bigger alternator either.

Also, if your batteries are old and weak, your alternator works that much harder. I've never had a set of batteries last longer than 3 years in either of my 7.3 PSDs.