1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Alt talk

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by bowtie_guy, Jan 13, 2005.

1. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Well I just got my plow on today and it works nice accept for the right cylinder problem. Anyways When going up she uses the juice and right now I have the stocker which is I beleave 90 amps. Would going to a 125 be worth it in your opinion?? Also the battery is new (5 months, bought before I decided on a plow) it has only 650 CCA, only spec I can remember. Would upgrading to a 1000 CCA battery help me out much or would the alt be better at this time then battery next.

I only plow local driveways, myselve and a neighbour or two so I don't want to spend TOOO much money.

2. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

I just upgraded my 95 amp in my 96 f250 to a Powermaster 200amp. I spent 350 but I don't think you would need to go that far. I have a lot of electronics in my truck. Plow, Salter, Cell Phone, Strobes, light bar, Reverse Lights, High power Stereo, and Lap Top. I still have a little bit of dimming but I only have one battery. I am going to add a second battery that next week. I think 130 amp would be sufficient. You will want to change the wire from your alt to the battery to 4 gage or better. That is what a few guys told me when I was asking the same question. I think it will cost you around 185 for the Alt.
  3. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

a second batt isn't going to help ya much cmapred to a bigger alt. it just hides charging issues. If you can rebuild an alt i would talk to the local alt shop and see if you can get an upgrade kit for yours, alot cheaper than a new one and more reliable. I just built a delco remy i had laying around for 70 bucks total, instaled 200 amp stator and a new regulator cuz mine was dead. I installed it in my f150 and love it. i run a 1200 cca diehard gold batt and my voltage will only drop to twelve when picking the plow up.
  4. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Thanks for the fast help!! I'm going to look into that. Right now when I go to pull up my plow she goes below whatever the lowest number is on the meter. :rolleyes:

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

how old is the plow . it sounds like the brushes on the plow motor are drawing to much. put a meter on the plow motor and see how many amps it draws. let us know how it works out.
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

For one thing your battery is too small. I have an AutoZone Gold 900cca in mine and it's lasted 3 years. Make sure all connections are clean, use dielectric tuneup grease on them to keep them clean and crude off.
    Run as few lights as possible at low speeds.
    (alternator puts out best above 2000 RPM)
    You will have some voltage drop when you run the plow pump, it's trouble if the gauge keeps dropping and staying low.
  7. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

be careful testing the plow motor with amp gauge because if you don't have one that at least goes to 200 amps it could kill the gauge.