1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

alt. pully change

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cameo89, Jan 25, 2011.

1. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I currently have the 105 amp alt. and wanna change to a smaller underdrive pully, has anyone here done this? Is there an advantage to doing this over stock? I found a new smaller pully for $20 and ill probably install a new drive belt too.
    The guy im gonna buy pully from said to stay away from larger amp alt. Because they don't charge very well at idol. Any truth in this?

The reason for change is I have alot of amp draw from plow, Salter, light bar, strobes, headlights, heater, wipers ect. And I do have dual batteries, new 1600 cold cranking 2000 crankin amps and 300 in reserve. I also added a 4 gage wire from alt. to battery

Thanks for any and all help.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

not true on the alts.

i hade a cs130 mina on my plow truck was 105 amp max. just couldnt keep up with the truck/lightbar/heater/wipers/and extra stuff . thank god i have live hydro belt drive fisher.

i got a cs144 upgrade alt 200 amp unit. bolted in 100% and plugged in 100% . then added the 4ga power cable to batt from alt stud.

the dyno sheet from new alt showed 125 amp at 800 rpm then 210 amp at full output .

now i can leave everything on high or full use at 800rpm truck in park and come back 2 hr later if need be and the truck still shows full charge at 13.5-14 volts.

before with the 105 amp it would start dropin off at 20-25 min and almost kill the truck fuel system in 30 min.

here ya go for the place i got my alt 3-4 years ago.

there whole list http://shop.ebay.com/alterstart/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25

mine for my truck http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-9...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

the one you could get for your truck direct fit. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-9...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  3. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Wow thanks for all of your research, I cant beleive they offer a 235 amp alt.
    Now only if I had $300 sitting around! lol

I did save the ebay page for a latter date, maybe if we get a few more good snow storms

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Did you upgrade the negative from the alt to the batt?

5. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

No..just the pos from main battery to sencondary, ground to engine and engine to frame. And I added a 4 gage from alt. To main battery.

6. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Might want to check out NAPA Too !!
    I heard on this site some go there for alternator up grades..

7. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

NAPA=$219+core for a 155 amp. Nope id rather spend a little more and get that big 235amp and just upgrade all my wires to suit.

8. RichG53

Make sure you know what it puts out at Idle..

Not that you have to keep RPMs up so you get a good charge...
    Very important...

9. sweetk30

go click the 2nd and 3rd links i posted.

thay show the alt output at 800 rpm. Thumbs Up

10. RichG53

I guess I missed some of that reading through the whole thing..

11. sweetk30

no problem man. just makin sure everyone gets the info. Thumbs Up