1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Alright I have a ? about large trucks!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Craftybigdog, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Hey guys Im looking at buying a Chevy or GMC 5500 with the crew cab with a 12 Dump body and I wanted to know what you guys think about this truck. Also should I get the 4X4 model for pushing snow? Thank you
  2. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

With that much weight 4wd would be un needed.

Talk to five star llc....I think he has one. Maybe its a Kodiak I dunno.

But no.....you dont need 4wd.

I didnt even know they offered those with 4wd.
  3. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

They're really great trucks, my buddy just bought one to pull a 44' car hauler. You should check this out, though, because I have heard that some people were having trouble with them.
  4. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

They are available in 4x4.

Most guys around here run them with 4x4

When thing to note, your box might be bigger on these trucks, but GVW is lower than an F550. So depending on waht you are spreading, you arn't that much farther ahead.
  5. dumper

dumper Junior Member

In New Jersey, we use several Ford F650 single axle dumps. Auto trans, Cummins diesal. Handle a 10' road plow no problem, but all we do is Municipal roads. One or two tons of ballast, no chains, never had a problem.
  6. Craftybigdog

Do you guys like the F-550's ?
  7. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Buddy's got a 5500 topkick, I would get the 4x4, last season when we got that real wet stuff he said everyone was calling him because thier trucks could not push it and he's got the 4x4 and the weight. He defiently likes the 4x4 but he never ran any ballast last season. Sometimes a think big trucks get stuck easier than smaller ones.
  8. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

We have 3 top kicks that we hual snow with. I have rarly ever needed to hook a chain to any of them. They are single axle trucks, and we do some pretty serious off roading where we dump snow. I see some gusys go back in there with there tandem trucks and get stuck right away. With a single axle you have all your weight on that one axle. 2wd would be just fine I would think, but 4wd of course is always better.
  9. TEX

TEX Senior Member

Gmc 5500

For the price you cant beat the Chevy/GMC 4500/5500 series yes they do offer a 4x4 from the factory and unless your going to work the dog out of it or put a kajillion miles on them they are good trucks. comparied to other trucks of their size not F-450/550 but F650/750,Pete, International 4300, Freightliner L2 and such they are much more affordable down side may be the motor can only get up to a 6.6 diesel in those modles but there is the "medium duty" stright 6 duramax for the 65/75/8500 series. The F-450/550 is a great truck---except its smaller in size comparer to the 45/5500 GMC and the 6.0 PSD well its the 6.0 PSD wait a while for the 6.4 twin turbo PSD out soon. while the F-450/550 is smaller and has a higher GVWR than other trucks its "size" it can fit in more places, we have used several F-550's for brush trucks in the fire dept, for a dump id go with the GMC. a good friend of mine has a 2wd 5500 with the 6.6 durmax diesel for a wrecker and its a great truck. sorry for the story just my 2 cents
  10. Craftybigdog

Thank you, great insight!
  11. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Yeah, too bad you can only get the DMax with the 4500/5500, but the 6500/7500/8500 is available with a Cat Diesel. :cool: