1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Alright here is what I am planning on buying - What do you think? Making a mistake?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by kruser6, Aug 7, 2009.

1. kruser6

kruser6 Member
    from Iowa

I am getting a 2004-2006 F-150

I am looking at buying a 7'.5'' Western Poly V plow. The lower weight should an advantage right?

I am going to put a 2'' lift on it with Timbrens installed as well.

I am also putting a salt spreader in the bed.

I hear a lot about putting 500LB of ballast in the back, I am not sure what that means?

Do you think that this will be a good set-up. I have about 20-25 residential accounts, 2 grocery store lots, and 1 decent sized apartment complex. You all think it will hold up fine or am I making a mistake?
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

With all that weight the only thing your going to have is a planter sitting there .I hope your going to have a bigger truck tow you around.:D
  3. kolkie05

kolkie05 Senior Member
    from Chicago

I have a 06 F150 with the 6'8 Meyer drive pro. It hauled ass last year but also had alot of electrical problems. It still did the job I have a couple of small commercial accounts, residentials, and larger commercial accounts. All in all they say the grvw should be a certain limit but I've seen guys with a full size plow on the f150 and it seems to hold up fine. If I had to do it again I would have gotten a full size western.

Hope that helps a little
  4. bellcityplow

bellcityplow Junior Member

That's a lot of work and weight for one half ton truck i stated my bis. years ago doing T@M with a long box 3/4 ton Chevy with a 6.0 and a tailgate spreader and always loaded it with a full skid of salt, I cant imagine doing it with less, and always had a beater with a heater for back up.
  5. kruser6

kruser6 Member
    from Iowa

Ok, I guess I'm going with an F-250. It sounds like I don't really have a choice. May go with a chevy 2500
  6. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Go with a F-250 or a Chevy 2500 with an 8' blade. timbrens and a lift kit if u get a chevy, maybe not on the ford
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

You will kill the F-150 with that much weight. Get a 3/4 or even a 1 ton for the best overall handling truck.