1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

alright guys i want to hear your opinions on this one

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowplowpro, Jan 15, 2013.

1. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

I don't hear anyone talk about this but what's your opinions on plowing for a state or municipality or county. You know your definitely getting paid its government work but let's hear it.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

No problem,you good jumping through hoop? Knee pads?

3. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Works well for us.

4. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Numbers are public information which can be a good or bad thing. Lowest "responsible" bidder wins the work. Bids are compared very apples to apples numbers wise. 100% performance is required or you're out. Pay has been very quick in my experience.

5. snowplowpro

from NJ

Some of the towns by me let you work when there trucks go out like you don't have to plow the whole township with your company you can do one truck and get paid by the hour

6. grandview

In our area all roads are plowed by the towns,State and county.

7. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

8. snowplowpro

from NJ

Are roads to but when there's alot of snow and the town guys go over there hours the outside contractors come in

9. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

There is a lot more then streets to plow for cities.
    Cemeteries
    Dead end cul-de-sacs
    Municipal lots
    Government buildings.

We do some for a city over here and it seems to work out very well.

10. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Alot of the municipal lots are on our tender they want done before 7:00am, and lowest price per site wins, they will split 12 sites up between 12 different contractors to get lowest price. There is a $2500 deposit that is refunded at the end of the contract if all is completed to their satisfaction. $5,000,0000 liability is required.
    All the #'s are public (even published in the paper.) and sites change hands regularly by $5-$10.

11. grandview

1, Private contracts
    2,Towns do them
    3.Towns do them
    4.Town does its own

Some agency's do bid them out ,for gov't lots.

12. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Now I know why I quit plowing for the state 20 years ago. $65 per hour is what I got paid for a pick up back then, and it wasn't enough to pay for all the wear and tear plus salt damage.

13. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

They are paying $78.00 now for a pick up with a spreader . And its not worth it.

14. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

Around here the towns/ cities have there employees do all the streets, roads, highways, alleys. They already have all the equipment - and nothing better to do.

$95.00-$100.00 per hour would be worth it.

15. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

I wanted to do local municipal routes.. since our local township roads are so poorly done, and we have nearly the same amount of trucks they do, they just cant keep up in anything more than a 4-6" storm... a 1-2ft storm, hell people dont get plowed out for 24-48+ hrs, sometimes a few days later all the back roads are done.

Last year, the winning bid for "standby" plowing, was $86.00/hr.

That means i have to dedicate a truck, or two or three to sit all winter until we get 6" or more when they call....

$2,064.00 is hardly worth having a 24hr shift of two drivers out with a 40-60k truck... in a good storm.

Heck, we can bill that for 8-10hrs in an F150 with a little plow.

I was die hard set to send two F550s out with a 9'2" V XT plow and a 9' SD boss plow with wings making it 11' wide or about 9' angled.... 4yd spreaders for both and i know we'd knock out twice the mileage the township guys jerk around the entire time... oh well. cant help em if they're not willing to pay! Im not here to just have fun in the snow, we need to make money too!

16. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I used to plow for the state making $67.50, with a six wheeler, plow, wing, and a 5 yard sander.

17. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Yep no need to work for free. My only public experience is in schools. We did half a school district the last two years. Got out bid this year.

18. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I'd want $175 an hour, minimum. I plow a lot that takes me 40 minutes if I am taking it easy, and I get $150...why would I want to take on the risk of a public roadway and the fools that inhabit them, the pot holes, frost heaves, salt, fallen trees and branches, 10 wheel road plows doing 45 mph in a 25 zone, pissed off townsfolk, and God knows what else for even one cent less?

19. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

I used to contract plow for a local municipality, had 2 6 wheeler plow trucks and 3 10 wheelers, all with wings & sanders. I did 54 miles of road (really 108, since you have to plow both lanes), they paid for all the sand and salt. last year I did it I was at $235,000. Worked out well for me for a lot of years, but I wanted to go other directions.

20. SnoDaddy

SnoDaddy Senior Member
    from ohio

$78 an hour is a joke! $100-125 maybe. Roads are rough. Best thing would be to get like a Int 4700 with undertailgate and muni plow. No way I'd beat up one of my 3/4 or 1 ton trucks.