1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Already thinking about next year

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by newtoplowing, Feb 26, 2003.

1. newtoplowing

newtoplowing Junior Member

Ok heres my second post. I've looked through the site actually for the past couple years, but ive only gotten into lawn care so far. Next winter i want to get into plowing. Whats my best bet on getting some accounts for next year. when is the best time to go and who do i talk to.

Let me take some time to let you know what i know about plowing:

1. you get in the truck and push the snow

2. ummm

yeah i need some help. Questions, like is putting salt down included in every contract u guys do for plowing, or is that only the ones who want it? I know searching is what everyone preaches, but if anyone can offer some good advice or some good articles or books id appreciate it. Kind of a snowplowing for dummies.anything else i can think of ill bug u pros about.

o yeah i have a 2002 2500HD Extd Cab 4x4 with 6.0
    1995 ram 2500 5.2 (2 wheel)

2. newtoplowing

thought of something else

What about hauling away snow, what kinda things can u tell me about that.

3. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

order chuck smith's snoplowing handbook and when your done reading it read it again. the best advice i can give you would be to work for a contractor next year to gain the experience needed to properly operate a plow truck. you may not learn site bidding that way but you need experience behind the wheel first.
    i won't even get into hauling snow away as clearly you are not ready for that topic yet.
    oh ya, welcome to plowsite.....read every post in every forum cause you never know what handy tidbit of info these guys may throw out at any time. it's free learning so take full advantage.
    dan

4. newtoplowing

I was thinking i should probably work for someone else first too. If theres anyone who wants to set up some help for next year already and is in south eastern michigan let me know

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Subbing for someone else is a great way to get into the biz.Let someone else worry about the quoting,complaining,and collecting while you get some experience plowing.Will give you a good idea how long it will take to clear a property by size,which will help when you do start quoting on your own.

6. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

where @ in SE MI.?

7. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

next year

I HAVE to be really carefull to maximize room for many snowfalls like this year ....of course it wont snow a lot then.For some customers I HAD to plow neatly across the street which I really hate doing .

8. newtoplowing

im in sterling heights