1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

already plowed, good bye

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by a palustris, Jan 12, 2003.

1. a palustris

a palustris Member

Two of the people who taught me to plow have the policy of, "if it's already plowed or shoveled by the time I get there, you don't want me anymore, and we are done" It's not a known thing, but I can think of several times when these guys have done it. Is this a common thing?
  2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Thats how it goes by me,not to often but have had it happen and handled it that way,these customers were nitpickers anyways,always complaining so i was glad to see them go.
  3. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

On residential driveways yes been there done that, but they always seem to come back.

Sometimes they flag down someone around to do it, but they still have to pay me to do it whether it's done by some one else or us.

On commercial, someone plowed the wrong lot, if that ever happens. We plowed the wrong lot once and that's the begining to my launch into commercial plowing.
  4. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

yup happened to me.i drove all the way out to do this driveway.it was plowed and it was a crappy job,but i wished if they called and said thet got some else.they never paid me for last time.i think there new guy lied and said he did it last because they were away for christmas.but i would never take them back no way
  5. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I've had that happen on a residential account. However I was planing on dropping the account it happened on anyway.
  6. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

There are the times when someone will plow the wrong driveway (yours), Customer thinks it was you so dosnt say anything. Then you dont show up & your customer gets mad because some new guy with another co. who didn't know the route & plowed one of yours on accident?

Or the times when customer is expecting family over so shovels the drive, thinking you wont get there in time. Then you show up & wonder what happened? Becasue they didnt want grams with her walker & gramps with his wheelchair, treading through the snow into the house. Or know darn well your not about to get outta the truck knock on the door & wait arround for them to move so you can plow the drive.

What about the times when there are cars in the drive? Would you come back then or is the customer not allowed to have a gathering? Mabey they plowed the lot after the cars left thinking you had allready driven by & skiped them because of the cars.

I wouldnt suddenly drop someone because the drive was allready done thats just crazy. Try to get ahold of them and ask what happened. If you dont manage to get ahold of them & it happens often & your on a per plow basis then loose em. If your on a contract find a way to get ahold of them.

I had a seasional contract with one older customer. They said the neighbors 10yr old kid down the street used to shovel her drive & walks for free for a boyscout thing. She felt bad for the kid, tring to shovel her out of 7ft of snow last year, so contracted me this year for the drive & let him still do the walks. Sometimes I can tell he also shoveld her drive... I havent seen him out there to say anything so I just see it as the kid's good deed extends to me. Flate rate contracts.
  7. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

This happened to us on the first snow of the year, went to do the lot, and it was already plowed. We also plow the lot next door, which we still do. This one did not want to sign a contract, so I will no longer do it, unless they do. I now tell everyone that I need a contract signed, or I won't plow for them. We had a residential that the owner contacted me about a bill, I told her that we did not plow her drive, because it was my understanding that it was on an on call basis. She thinks her neighbor did it, but still wants us to plow, although now it is at our discretion.

8. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Got Grass

Sounds like a good deal, he works, you collect:drinkup:

I think the key is communication. This is hard to do at 5:00am, but a phone call later that morning can go a long way.
  9. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

look if the customer hired some other company or they shoveled it.it would be nice to get a call saying they got someone else or they shoveled it.i get mad driving out to these places and see it was already done.that pisses me off.i plow if theres cars in the drive.not my problem if they have people over.i plow what i can get at and bill them like i always would.i don't stand for crap like that.either u want me to do it or not.im not wasting 2 dollars worth of gas to show up at an account that has already been plowed
  10. a palustris

a palustris Member

What I meant was, the driveway is plowed when you get there... and the next time it snows you do not plow it, because it was already done last time... no calls, just send a bill and goodbye.