1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Almost temped to do a Craigslist for plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Nov 7, 2009.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I should do some half-assed ad to see how many dumb people are really out there to answer Craigslist ad for plowing.
  2. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

It worked for use for landscaping. You can view "penny saver" ads on the Internet, Craigslist is the same thing, IMO. You never know. Times are tough, and everyone is shopping to save a penny.
  3. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

exactly... but arnt those the customers you dont want?
  4. grandview

For the right amount of money I'll take them.
  5. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I know what your saying. It is the same thing as going through a penny saver or news paper. People call every contractor and they take the one that is a penny less then the other. This doesnt mean to low ball. Craigslist is just another form of advertisement, only FREE.

It has worked for me. I think we had 5 calls over the whole summer, lol. But it was 5 more then what we had. Out of the 5 we got 3. We turned the 3 weekly cuts into 7 weekly lawn cuts from there neighbors and passer bys. Give it a shot. Just leave out " driveways for $5"
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  6. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

If you're really looking for dumb people, Craigslist is the place to find them.
  7. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Grand nooooooooooo dont do it ....Walk away from craig's list prsportprsport
  8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

We sell 90% of our firewood on Craigslist.

We get 30 calls from Craigslist to every call we get from the two statewide newspapers and online ads in said newspapers.

The nice thing about Craigslist is you can put pictures to your ad. We show how our wood is stacked, how the ends are dried out, we even have one picture with a dollar bill held up to the end so a customer can get an idea on what size the wood is split to.

It could work the same with the snowplowing.

Have a pic of the truck / equipment to show you have something dependable.

Have a pic of a completed project, pointing out how you didn't plow the hydrant in, or push snow 50' across the yard.

Put your ad there and see what happens.

The only thing you're out is your time.

There are 20 ads / day that are cheaper than mine, but alot of them aren't people doing this full time, it's someone that has 1-2 trees they cut down and need to get rid of the wood.

Same thing can be said for Craigslist for snowplowing. You can put 4 pics up and show how you're not just a fly-by-night guy.

The biggest thing is don't put too much info online, as your competitors are probably reading your ad too.

Just enough to get a possible customer to call you, instead of the other 15 guys.
  9. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

free advertisement? not such a bad thing,.....

obviously there is a TON of them on there.. i havnt had a strike on mine yet.. unfortunately..

without advertising "Ill pay YOU to plow YOUR driveway." not sure how anyone can pick up gigs off there.. worth a shot though?
  10. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

The only customer which will seek you out is somebody wanting it done for $10 a driveway..
    I advertise by signs posted on properties, works better then any craigslist ad been there..
  11. grandview

I was just going to throw up a BS ad and see how many people would bite.
  12. tonybands

tonybands Member

Here is one from cl.

Dependable snowplowing!!! Contracts MAX. $150 a season.
    I have a regular full time job and do not need the money.
    To make a long story short.
    I cheated on my wife but worked out a deal that all the money I make from plowing will go to paying for the implants she despratly wants (&needs).
    Little does she know I'm doing this to get me out of the house and away from her and the money will be used for a divorce.
    So please hire & save me from spending the rest of my life with this *****
  13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I'm considering starting to use it for used and trade in equipment that has seen better days.

I have also thought of running a ad that starts ARE YOU LOOKING FOR A CHEAP SNOWPLOW I am not your guy. But if you want reliable equipment that will do the job..ETC. I figure there are reasonably intelligent humans that read it if only one calls and the ad was free what have I lost?
  14. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Basher has the right idea. We have used it in the past-post online after the routes are completed if the guys want more work. As a note-we have always had prepayment online in advance-avoids the people who contact 6 and first come first served. We charge high for 1x plows and split 50/50 with the drivers.
  15. LwnmwrMan22

This is another problem with the firewood. People will call, and if you don't answer, they leave a message, but then instantly call the next guy.

I keep my cell phone on 24/7 as I'm trying to build the customer base from 70 customers to 350 this year.
  16. Harleychvy

Harleychvy Senior Member

I've got the majority of my customers from Craigslist over the last few years. The only issue is, new ones are calling the day of the first storm, just have to tell them thay are last in line.
  17. grandview

Can I use that!
  18. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i agree with a lot of points about craigslist, it is just another media means of advertising, as with anything, however it is free, and lots of people would rather to a search for a piece of equipment, or service near them online, then flip through their local paper, or yellow pages.

But i think we are all missing the point, i think grandview wants to put a gag craigslist ad up and see what responses he gets, something like "i am unemployed and need money for beer, so i am willing to snow plow for beer, i only have a bicycle, but that is ok, because i have ducktaped a shovel to the front, so i can plow up to 12 inches no problem, (i have strong legs from my time in WW2) anyone interested, phone, me, i like Pil"
  19. My local one has tons of ads, this one caught my eye.

Two Chicks and a Hoe - Green Garden Care (Toronto)
    Date: 2009-10-29, 12:06PM EDT
    Reply to: serv-jbytd-1442821178@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

It's time to put your garden to bed for the winter.
    Sit back and relax, we can take care of it for you.
    From planting bulbs to weeding to bagging the leaves this fall, we do it all.
    For reliable service at a very reasonable rate
    call Tammy at (647)341-1309 or email me at twochicksandahoe@gmail.com.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interes
  20. LwnmwrMan22

I realize Grandview's interested in a bogus ad, but there are other guys that are looking for for real ways to advertise.

One other problem with Craigslist, you'll have to put your service radius as well.

For our firewood, we have a 50 mile one way radius, unless you want a dump truck and dump trailer load, and we can just dump, then we'll go just about anywhere.

About a month ago I got a call from South Dakota, wondering if we'd deliver. We're a little too far from South Dakota (300 miles).