1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

almost raped by ford

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by wildwilly, Dec 9, 2010.

1. wildwilly

wildwilly Member

Hello lads!
    10 days ago I was checking out all the required systems for plowing and discovered that I had NO 4wd. (I have an 03 f350 ps dually with a 108" straight arctic poly plow) then went online to check and see what the problem might be and narrowed it down to switch,relay vacuum or actuator motor(shift on th fly) after taking it to a transmission place it was determined that the actuator motor was gone, and ford wanted...get this $700.00!!!!!
    After further online searches online, I had it delivered to my house in Canada from Buffalo for $160!!!!
    What the hell is ford thinking that they are justifying this ridiculous price.
    A fellow at rockauto.com was very helpfull and apparently mostly all items are the cheapest around.
    If you have a truck that has this problem definitely give them a try

living up north and outpriced!!!
  2. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

nothing new there. dealers get dealer prices - they are high. its not just ford.

odds are the $160 unit you got is not a ford part.
  3. Chipper

Chipper Member

Same thing with some coil springs I wanted. Dealer says list is $122 each so they will cut me a deal at $111. I told them online they are $80. Guy has a fit and says they can't be, their COST is more than $80.
    I walk out the door called my brother in-law who still works for a local shop. NEXT day the same stealership delivers, to his shop, the springs I wanted. Cost to me, was only $77 each.

I REALLY want to take the invoice down and have a few "KIND" words with the stealership. But I don't want to burn my brother in-law.

Just going to keep trying to educate people on the unfair business practices of FORD stealerships.
  4. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Audi dealer wanted $700+ to change the burned out license plate bulb on my wife's A4.

I win.
  5. wildwilly

wildwilly Member

the unit I got delivered is the EXACT same unit as illustrated by the ford dealer

for shame....... for shame
  6. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure if you landscape or not but I know I get my supplies cheaper than if a customer went to buy it. Im sure that shop buys a lot of parts thus they get a discount.
  7. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

Your kidding right?
  8. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i had to buy 4 bolts for the front driveshaft for my 97. their 1/4'' bolts with a 6 point head but grade 8s. $16 bucks a piece..
  9. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

The crafted Ford actuator part (for the 4x4) is $690......I had to replace mine 2 years ago.
  10. Call rockauto much cheaper
  11. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

thanks to the internet you can shop/compare prices
  12. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Its not only Ford. I bought an intermediate steering shaft for my GMC Sierra from the local GM dealer for $122. After I installed it, someone was telling me to checkout GM parts direct on line. I could have purchased it for $76. What was I thinking????!!!!
  13. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Amazingly no, I'm not. I am oversimplifying though.

One of the two license plate bulbs burned out, dealer saw it when the car was there for its first (and only) $90 oil change and they said because they saw some water in the bulb houseing that they would have to pull the trunklid off the car and replace the entire trunk mounted lighting system. All I did was unscrew the bulb house, cleaned the plastic and the contacts and put a bead of silicone around the worn seal...bulb still works fine 3 years later.

Reminds me of the time I ook my 94 SHO to the Ford dealer for a rear brake job...I rolled in knowing it needed pads and rotors in the back...they told me it needed pads, rotors, lines, cables, emergency brake cables, calipers and whatever else they could think of. Their reason for this? Both my rear calipers were seized up solid...they couldn't get them to compress the piston no matter how hard they screwed the C-Clamp. I pointed out that the rear calipers have to have the piston screwed in when you compress it and proceeded to do it right in front of the tech whose jaw just hung open. Told them to reassemble my car and give the keys. and went home to do my own rear brake job in a couple hours for under $100.
  14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If you set up a trade account at most auto parts stores you'll get the same deal as going to the US.
  15. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Whenever you purchase something from an online parts store always open a new window and google " Your Parts Store Name Here discount code"

You'll be amazed at how many discount codes there are out there - I just bought an altenator this morning from advanced auto parts and got $40 off by doing this which was waaay cheaper than I could get at Rockauto- which I also found a discount code for.
  16. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

If you can set up a trade account from the dealer you'll get alot better prices. i've got a few parts for alot cheaper then the local parts houses, and i have an account with them to.