1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Almost Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rodymartin, Feb 4, 2008.

1. rodymartin

rodymartin Junior Member
    from 98267

I have been lurking here for a few days and thought I had better ask the questions I need to ask.
    First a little about me and what I need to do. I have plowed snow but with a TD 15 crawler and a A/C Grader. That is why the almost. Truck plows I have not used.

The Road I have to plow is a mile long of dirt and gravel. Your nomal unmaintained country private road That gets 4 feet max of snow. Mostly wet and in not more than 1 foot at a time
    Now the questions. I have a 1990 Ford F250 Diesel 5 speed 4X4 and would like to plow with this. Is it big enough to do the job? What size and make plow can this truck handle? Being disabled not able to handle heavy weights is also a problem. I need something that can be taken off easily

The area I am in is Washington State in the western northern mountains.

I do have a friend that has a Snow bear for sale for $800.

:confused::confused:

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

old truck

i think that your truck would be more than adequate for the job i do not think the snow bear would be up to the task,you can probably pick up a older western unimount or boss rt3 ,i prefer the boss my self i have a 7 1/2 boss super duty rt3 with smart hitch 2 and i goes on very easy for me ,as i have to deal with ms it's the best deal for me .and it's a tough blade .

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

You want at least an 8' plow for that truck. Most of the plows these day attach fairly easily.

4. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I would go with a Boss with the smart hitch 2. And I agree wtih hydro, It has to be atleast 8 feet for that truck. That seems to be the most "standard size" plow around.

5. Ford_7.3_meyer

Ford_7.3_meyer Junior Member

Sweet:redbounce another guy from WA! where you at? I'm in Ellensburg. I have the same exact truck! it works great I didn't get a big an off plow it's only 7'6" :cry: I want to build some wings for it. I've only had to call a dozer once this year:nod: to do our drive cuz the drifts where 3 feet:dizzy:

6. rodymartin

rodymartin Junior Member
    from 98267

I live on Highway 20 about 50 miles east from I 5. When I was young I have seen 5 to 6 feet of snow but not all at once. I live at the end of private roads about a mile from the pavement.

Looks Like this year I need to look for a 8 footer as well as rigg the truck for the plow. The truck is big. My 2 get around town trucks are to small.

One more question how much ballast in the back do I need??

I like the snow in the winter but hate haveing to work with it.