1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Almost new 1982 diesel 1 ton!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by tiestick, Mar 8, 2007.

1. tiestick

tiestick Junior Member

My friend was just given a 1982 chevy one ton pick up. It has a 6.2 liter diesel and is 2wd. The truck only has 14,000 miles. It was in a barn for a long time. The body is pretty solid and underneath looks ok. The springs and ubolts that hold the springs are pretty rusted. He just registered the vehicle, took it for a test ride and blew out a rear tire. So we changed all the tires, which were brand new, 15 years ago (dry rot). Took it to a mechanic and he had a rusted brake line. Everything else looks good.

What is the story on this type of truck and motor? Good, no good? He does'nt know much about chevy diesels. What should he look out for? Should we change all the fluids on it? Change the tranny and the rear differential, the antifreeze, thermostat? Give me the good, bad and ugly! Thanks Mike
  2. SMPlower1

SMPlower1 Junior Member
    from Etters

tiestick, send your friend over to dieselplace.com and look under their 6.2L forum, the motor was made for MPG not HP, it has less then 200 HP and less then 300 ft lbs but gets great mileage.

Hope this helps
  3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Terrible truck! But I'll be a nice guy and come take it off his hands for nothing! Really, I don't mind, its just the kinda guy I am! :jester:

Change all the fluids after you've gotten it good and warm now, gets rid of any condensation from it sitting all this time, and antifreeze looses its anti-corrosion protection over time too supposedly. Probably thermostats not a bad idea too, they;re cheap enough. Inspect all rubber hoses and lines, I'm assuming your mechanic has already gone over all the remaining brake lines and pads and shoes etc.

The 6.2 diesel is basically a good engine but no powerhouse at all. Think of it like a 305 with better gas mileage. Don't abuse it and it should live a long, happy life. They seemed to be either really really good (last forever) or really really bad (blow rods thru the block). '82 was first year for the 6.2 I believe. Before that was the converted gasser Olds 350 diesel, which was a turd at the best of times. Made for a good base for an Olds race engine though!!
  4. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

A couple more pages to check out.

Hi, I had a 89 3500 with a 6.2HD according to the vin ,never did find out what the "HD" was all about.
    I thought for a gutless engine it was great.Only like 145hp but with 2 yards of loam that truck didn't even feel it.Must have been geared right.
    Here are a couple more places to research the 6.2.

5. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Great work truck expensive to upkeep!

I had an 82 2500-- that I got real cheap in 86 after the owner had a new engine put in-- needed a new flex plate! Had on the road for 4-5 years--Great with the milage-- 22 on the hiway fully overloaded ! The bad news every other year I needed to replace the tranny--auto-- the reason for the failure was the vac pump(located where the distibutor is on a sbc)lt would fail causing hard shifts, then when the tranny was cold--it would kill it! This was mostly driver error-- should of had it looked at when the shifting got hard! The other weakness that I ran into was the injection pump! Replaced once-- rebuilt once-- then the last time the shaft broke on it. The truck was a fuel miser and had a lot of torque, but no sac! Good luck *2 the vin would tell you if heavy-duty motor--a C in the vin was LD and a J was HD --it was over 20 years ago could have it backwards!